[SOLVED] PVE V7 to V8 Problems

ControlsEE

Jun 25, 2023
Hello, I've had some issues while upgrading to v8 from v7. I was able to start the upgrade and it would fail with a message about trying to uninstall PVE. Idiot me followed the instructions in the console and actually ran the remove commands. I looked up after that there is a note in the install page on the wiki that says it can show up and how to deal with it. Anyways, after that, it allowed me to proceed with the v8 installation. After it completed, I noticed that all of the VMs and CTs on that node showed a gray question mark. Thinking it needed to be rebooted, i did so and nothing changed when the node booted up. I've tried a number of posts on the forum and so far nothing. When I try running apt dist-upgrade I get :
Code:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libfmt7 libthrift-0.13.0
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  pve-kernel-5.15.102-1-pve
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libfmt9 liblttng-ust-common1 liblttng-ust-ctl5 liblttng-ust1 libthrift-0.17.0
The following packages will be upgraded:
  ceph-fuse libcephfs2 librados2 libradosstriper1 librbd1 librgw2 proxmox-mail-forward
7 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
2 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/15.4 MB of archives.
After this operation, 398 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Reading changelogs... Done
(Reading database ... 83053 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing pve-kernel-5.15.102-1-pve (5.15.102-1) ...
Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools 5.15.102-1-pve /boot/vmlinuz-5.15.102-1-pve
update-initramfs: Deleting /boot/initrd.img-5.15.102-1-pve
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/proxmox-auto-removal 5.15.102-1-pve /boot/vmlinuz-5.15.102-1-pve
/etc/kernel/postrm.d/proxmox-auto-removal: 4: .: cannot open /usr/share/proxmox-kernel-helper/scripts/functions: No such file
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postrm.d/proxmox-auto-removal exited with return code 2
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postrm.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/pve-kernel-5.15.102-1-pve.postrm line 14.
dpkg: error processing package pve-kernel-5.15.102-1-pve (--remove):
 installed pve-kernel-5.15.102-1-pve package post-removal script subprocess returned error exit status 1
dpkg: too many errors, stopping
Errors were encountered while processing:
Processing was halted because there were too many errors.
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Ive tried looking into some of these errors but cannot find any remedy for them. I believe this is a direct result of the proxmox-ve removal, but if I try apt install proxmox-ve, I get :
Code:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libfmt7 libthrift-0.13.0
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following additional packages will be installed:
  ceph-common ceph-fuse libcephfs2 libfmt9 libjs-sencha-touch liblttng-ust-common1 liblttng-ust-ctl5 liblttng-ust1 libpve-guest-common-perl libpve-storage-perl librados2 libradosstriper1
  librbd1 librgw2 libslirp0 libthrift-0.17.0 liburing2 numactl proxmox-kernel-helper proxmox-offline-mirror-docs proxmox-offline-mirror-helper pve-container pve-ha-manager pve-manager
  pve-qemu-kvm python3-cephfs python3-rados python3-rbd python3-rgw qemu-server spiceterm
Suggested packages:
  ceph-base ceph-mds systemd-boot libpve-network-perl libgl1
The following packages will be REMOVED:
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  ceph-common libfmt9 libjs-sencha-touch liblttng-ust-common1 liblttng-ust-ctl5 liblttng-ust1 libpve-guest-common-perl libpve-storage-perl libslirp0 libthrift-0.17.0 liburing2 numactl
  proxmox-kernel-helper proxmox-offline-mirror-docs proxmox-offline-mirror-helper proxmox-ve pve-container pve-ha-manager pve-manager pve-qemu-kvm python3-cephfs python3-rados
  python3-rbd python3-rgw qemu-server spiceterm
The following packages will be upgraded:
  ceph-fuse libcephfs2 librados2 libradosstriper1 librbd1 librgw2
6 upgraded, 26 newly installed, 1 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
2 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/74.5 MB of archives.
After this operation, 35.8 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Reading changelogs... Done
Extracting templates from packages: 100%
(Reading database ... 83053 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing pve-kernel-5.15.102-1-pve (5.15.102-1) ...
Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools 5.15.102-1-pve /boot/vmlinuz-5.15.102-1-pve
update-initramfs: Deleting /boot/initrd.img-5.15.102-1-pve
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/proxmox-auto-removal 5.15.102-1-pve /boot/vmlinuz-5.15.102-1-pve
/etc/kernel/postrm.d/proxmox-auto-removal: 4: .: cannot open /usr/share/proxmox-kernel-helper/scripts/functions: No such file
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postrm.d/proxmox-auto-removal exited with return code 2
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postrm.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/pve-kernel-5.15.102-1-pve.postrm line 14.
dpkg: error processing package pve-kernel-5.15.102-1-pve (--remove):
 installed pve-kernel-5.15.102-1-pve package post-removal script subprocess returned error exit status 1
dpkg: too many errors, stopping
Processing was halted because there were too many errors.

I can access the shell from the other node in my cluster (still on v7), but as far as a web interface, I have none. To me, it looks as if it needs proxmox-kernel-helper to be installed, but I can't install that because it needs it to install itself.
Any help is much appreciated!

Last edited:
So I started copying files over to the broken machine. I was able to reinstall proxmox-ve, but something still didnt go right and proxmox-kernel-helper isnt installed correctly. when I try to install it, this is my result:
Code:
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of proxmox-ve:
 proxmox-ve depends on proxmox-kernel-helper; however:
  Package proxmox-kernel-helper is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package proxmox-ve (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
 proxmox-ve

So after running autoremove and trying to reinstall pve-kernel-helper individually, I was able to then run apt upgrade and get everything to finish. I still don't trust it, so I'm going to hold off of updating my other server until I am sure that this won't happen again.

HI! How did you solve? I only have one node that I use for my lab, with the update I lost everything and I can no longer access via web-gui but only in the CLI.

How did you restore the node?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!