PVE to PBS point to point 10G Fiber high I/O delay

mare19

Jul 20, 2021
Hi

I tried to configure a point to point connection with a 10G Fiber between PVE Host and PBS.

PBS IP: 10.10.10.2/24
PVE Host IP: 10.10.10.1/24

Adding the PBS to PVE Host worked without problems, but if I want to get the Backup then it comes to high I/O delay on the PBS.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Big problem now, it seems it destroyed the whole ZFS RAID:
1698743687739.png

All Disks are connected, but now the ZFS pool show that some disk are removed???
What happened?

Big problem now, it seems it destroyed the whole ZFS RAID:
View attachment 57333

All Disks are connected, but now the ZFS pool show that some disk are removed???
What happened?
1) check the disk models whether they are CMR or shingled(sp?)/SMR - the Shingle drives (typically those with like 128MB-256MB or more RAM/cache) are known to break horribly with ZFS
2) personally, I'd rather setup a DRAID2 or a RaidZ3 given your number of disks *AND* have SSD/NVMe SLOG and Cache drives configured as minimum, though I'd advise on a nice special device setup

1) check the disk models whether they are CMR or shingled(sp?)/SMR - the Shingle drives (typically those with like 128MB-256MB or more RAM/cache) are known to break horribly with ZFS
2) personally, I'd rather setup a DRAID2 or a RaidZ3 given your number of disks *AND* have SSD/NVMe SLOG and Cache drives configured as minimum, though I'd advise on a nice special device setup
Okey, I tried with zpool clear and I saw almost all Drives online again, but afterwards it turned back to same state.
Is there anyway to safe the data out? Now when I restart the Server it's stuck and this position:
1698758405916.png

What can I do now? I have some important Backups there :confused:

replace with CMR drives?

Hendrik's rules of computing:
1) Make a backup
2) Make *ANOTHER* backup
2b) At least one backup *off* provider (ie. a totally different DC/owner/etc.)
3) *CHECK* those backups

Sorry, but it looks like those drives aren't in a good state w.r.t. ZFS.

I started Proxmox in Recovery Mode and now they are resilvering the pool show online! I hope it will work, and this is caused because I wanted a point to point connection? Very special

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!