pve-qemu-kvm 2.7

Hi,

if you make your own qemu build you lose the capability to make backups.

no there is currently no build, but the cpu hotplug feature mentioned should work with qemu >2.7 as soon as we update it

I'm asking cause in 2.7 there were some changes included which lets me passthrough Intel Integrated Graphics to a VM.
And this should work in real? I tested a lot of things about in the past (nvidia and co...) but nothing was working. Only an really expensive quatro, and only with an old citrix xen. I don't know but i think it's not so easy to passthrough some graphics... ;(

I'm asking cause in your wiki qemu 2.7 is mentioned, so there should be a build or am I wrong?
Here under CPU Hotplug:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Hotplug_(qemu_disk,nic,cpu,memory)

It's me who have already updated the wiki.
cpu hot-unplug will work with qemu 2.7 , but this also need other change in proxmox qemu-server package. (I have already posted patches on mailing list).So better to wait a little bit that all is correctly commited in proxmox repos.

cpu hotplug already work with qemu 2.6.

And this should work in real? I tested a lot of things about in the past (nvidia and co...) but nothing was working. Only an really expensive quatro, and only with an old citrix xen. I don't know but i think it's not so easy to passthrough some graphics... ;(
I passthroughed a lot of Devices, nVidia GTX970, nV GT430, AMD HD6950, AMD R9 290X, SAS RAID Controller, PCI Soundcard, USB Soundcard, USB Controller, PCI/PCI-E TV Cards
Until qemu-kvm2.7 you could not passthrough an Intel Integrated Graphic, but it should work now.
No need for a Quadro Card.

Reactions: shantanu
I passthroughed a lot of Devices, nVidia GTX970, nV GT430, AMD HD6950, AMD R9 290X, SAS RAID Controller, PCI Soundcard, USB Soundcard, USB Controller, PCI/PCI-E TV Cards
Until qemu-kvm2.7 you could not passthrough an Intel Integrated Graphic, but it should work now.
No need for a Quadro Card.
impressive

I've tested this so often again an again with different hardware, but nothing works, no dell, no hp, no supermicro. Testet with an 3000 Eurocard an with an cheaper 800 Euro. TVcard and other pcie are working fine, but nerver graphics. Ok.... waiting for 2.7 :)

You misunderstood me, pci(-e) passthrough with gpu passthrough is working for years now (and like a charm). You need to wait for 2.7 only for the Intel iGPUs, but this may need some extra work to be done for the configuration, just try a normal dedicated GPU step by step from the wiki, it's kinda simple in proxmox.

Last edited:
So my question when there will be a pve-qemu-kvm-2.7 build released is still not answered.
Will there be a build for proxmox4.3 or will it not be released until proxmox4.4 ?

So my question when there will be a pve-qemu-kvm-2.7 build released is still not answered.
Will there be a build for proxmox4.3 or will it not be released until proxmox4.4 ?

it's in the works, and as always, it will be released when ready. if you are interested in testing early packages, I'd recommend to follow pve-devel and wait for patches to hit the git repositories.

it's in the works, and as always, it will be released when ready. if you are interested in testing early packages, I'd recommend to follow pve-devel and wait for patches to hit the git repositories.
Nice, Thanks!

the kernels from that PPA are not Ubuntu kernels, but "mainline" (i.e., stock upstream) kernels. the purpose of those kernels is to aid in regression testing, they are not supposed to be used as production kernels. please also note that our kernels contain customized configuration, additional drivers and modules as well as feature and bug fix patches (compared to Ubuntu Xenial's 4.4 kernel). if you try newer (upstream or Ubuntu) kernels, they may or may not work, depending on what you test, which hardware you use, and how lucky you are ;)

Have not much tested yet, but what I can say till now is that in the mainline kernels 4.6/4.7/4.8 and in the YakketyYak kernel 4.8.0-22-generic the zfs and vfio modules are missing and forsure the pcie_acs_override patches and some other stuff, so I'm going to try my own kernel build with the necessary patches and modules enabled in the next weeks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!