Pve not connecting to network

madH4tter

Mar 23, 2024
Hi!
I recently shut down my whole box (after admittedly too long of uptime) to remove a redundant graphics card. After booting the hypervisor again, it had hard drive full errors. I ran the following commands to hopefully make some space and be able to see the web-ui again;
Code:
apt clean
journalctl --vacuum-time=1h
rm -v /var/log/pveproxy/access.log.*
du -hd1 /var/log | sort -h
rm -r /var/lib/vz/template/iso
rm -r /var/log/samba/log.1*
du -hd1 /var/log | sort -h

After that, I haven't been able to connect to my network at all. The inbuilt nic on the motherboard shows inbound activity on the bios screen, but both leds are dark once proxmox boots. I bought a new PCIE nic to try and rule out issues with the motherboard, but that is showing similar connectivity issues (but activity light almost permanently on with little activity flashes infrequently).

I've attached the results of the 'ip a', 'cat /etc/network/interfaces', and "lspci | grep 'Ethernet'" commands (apologies for the poor quality).
Please let me know if more info is needed.

Attachments

• 20240323_202633.jpg
    20240323_202633.jpg
    892.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240323_202906.jpg
    20240323_202906.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240323_202732_mod.jpg
    20240323_202732_mod.jpg
    515.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
After that, I haven't been able to connect to my network at all. The inbuilt nic on the motherboard shows inbound activity on the bios screen, but both leds are dark once proxmox boots. I bought a new PCIE nic to try and rule out issues with the motherboard, but that is showing similar connectivity issues (but activity light almost permanently on with little activity flashes infrequently).

I've attached the results of the 'ip a', 'cat /etc/network/interfaces', and "lspci | grep 'Ethernet'" commands (apologies for the poor quality).
Please let me know if more info is needed.
After adding/removing PCIe devices you will have to edit your network config to match the new interface names, as the enumeration of the PCIe buses will change and your interfaces will be named based on this bus ID.

You used eno1 but this NIC isn't found anymore but looks like enp7s0 is connected to something. So I would try to change eno1 to enp7s0 in /etc/network/interfaces.

Also keep in mind that your NIC model (r8168) caused a lot of problems since PVE 8.0.

After adding/removing PCIe devices you will have to edit your network config to match the new interface names, as the enumeration of the PCIe buses will change and your interfaces will be named based on this bus ID.

You used eno1 but this NIC isn't found anymore but looks like enp7s0 is connected to something. So I would try to change eno1 to enp7s0 in /etc/network/interfaces.

I've updated the /etc/network/interfaces file to look like attached, but still causing issues. The enp7s0 is the new pcie nic. It looks like when i try to connect to the webui, it gets the dns (shows 'pve - proxmox virtual environment' in the tab name), but doesnt load the actual page.

Also keep in mind that your NIC model (r8168) caused a lot of problems since PVE 8.0.
Im still using proxmox V7.4-1, so I dont think that's the issue.

Attachments

• 20240324_164422.jpg
    20240324_164422.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 4

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!