[SOLVED] pve node summary never loads / forever spinner

FuriousRage

Renowned Member
Oct 17, 2014
Im not sure what happened, but this part of summry has stopped to load, the spinner is spinning forever

Screenshot 2024-07-21 115241.png

Tried a different browser / incognito window to see if it's just a caching thing?
And on the left (just outside of your screenshot), is the node itself with a green check or a grey question-mark?

Tried a different browser / incognito window to see if it's just a caching thing?
And on the left (just outside of your screenshot), is the node itself with a green check or a grey question-mark?
I just tried firefox, that never have visited the pve page, still spins there.
currently using Vivaldi, and the spinner-thing worked earlier yesterday.

icon:
Screenshot 2024-07-21 120310.png

As far as I know, the summary-page is created by the pvestatd service, could you check if it has any errors/warnings in the logs and/or in systemctl status pvestatd, or if restarting that service with systemctl restart pvestatd helps?

As far as I know, the summary-page is created by the pvestatd service, could you check if it has any errors/warnings in the logs and/or in systemctl status pvestatd, or if restarting that service with systemctl restart pvestatd helps?

still spinns:
root@pve:~# systemctl status pvestatd
● pvestatd.service - PVE Status Daemon
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/pvestatd.service; enabled; preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Sat 2024-07-20 23:39:49 CEST; 12h ago
Process: 1981 ExecStart=/usr/bin/pvestatd start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 1997 (pvestatd)
Tasks: 1 (limit: 75999)
Memory: 104.3M
CPU: 2min 10.427s
CGroup: /system.slice/pvestatd.service
└─1997 pvestatd

Jul 20 23:39:49 pve systemd[1]: Starting pvestatd.service - PVE Status Daemon...
Jul 20 23:39:49 pve pvestatd[1997]: starting server
Jul 20 23:39:49 pve systemd[1]: Started pvestatd.service - PVE Status Daemon.
Jul 21 03:50:36 pve pvestatd[1997]: status update time (147.569 seconds)
root@pve:~# systemctl restart pvestatd

Also, is there a wayto perhaps reaquire the summary page files, perhaps mine gone bonkers (without losing other config files and such)

Last edited:
Hmm. In my experience the only 2 other things I can think of;

1. The summary page relies heavily on the time state, is the time correct & correctly configured on the node. Check all time services.
2. Is your node fully updated? A mismatch of updates could cause your error.

(BTW, I like your name!)

Hmm. In my experience the only 2 other things I can think of;

1. The summary page relies heavily on the time state, is the time correct & correctly configured on the node. Check all time services.
2. Is your node fully updated? A mismatch of updates could cause your error.

(BTW, I like your name!)

root@pve:~# date
Sun Jul 21 02:30:24 PM CEST 2024

Seems correct for me.
There is nothing in the pve updates, all seems updated and fine.

Does the rest of the GUI work - as expected?

In the Datacenter Summary does all appear normal? In Datacenter Search does all uptime etc. correlate with reality?

Does the rest of the GUI work - as expected?

In the Datacenter Summary does all appear normal? In Datacenter Search does all uptime etc. correlate with reality?
looks normal in both places.
Updatime is about 35 minutes because of the reboot test.

OK. I was almost stumped by this one - until I took a closer look at the loading spinner image, where I noticed a line "CPU Thermal State". That is not showing through a regular PVE installed system. So you've obviously tweaked/hacked your system to show other custom items. Go back & figure out what has gone wrong with it - and I'm pretty sure your problem will go away.

OK. I was almost stumped by this one - until I took a closer look at the loading spinner image, where I noticed a line "CPU Thermal State". That is not showing through a regular PVE installed system. So you've obviously tweaked/hacked your system to show other custom items. Go back & figure out what has gone wrong with it - and I'm pretty sure your problem will go away.
Ah yeah. Forgot i tried to show host temp on the pve page (using this) https://new.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/rhq56e/displaying_cpu_temperature_in_proxmox_summery_in/
Removed the stuff and pve loads as expected.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!