PVE firewall blocks cluster communication

dqq

Jan 30, 2020
Hi,

I have 2 node datacenter, nodes have public IPs and are also connected with each other through VRACK.

Datacenter:
Node 1: PRIVATE IP: 192.168.0.2, PUBLIC IP: 1.2.3.4
Node 2: IP 192.168.0.3, , PUBLIC IP: 2.3.4.5

When I enable firewall cluster wide, following things happen:
- I cannot use GUI of 2nd node through 1st server - I get "communication failure"

I have added firewall rules accepting IN/OUT traffic in both machines for 182.168.0.0/28 subnet, no success.

One thing is that, when I type pve-firewall localnet in my ssh terminal of both nodes I get:
Code:
local hostname: hostname_1
local IP address: 1.2.3.4
network auto detect: PUBLIC NETWORK/24
using user defined local_network: 192.168.0.0

accepting corosync traffic from/to:
-  hostname_2: 192.168.0.3 (link: 0)

So machines does detect public IP address as an local one. How can I fix this to enable .

Additionally, quorum responds as "OK" despite connection problems between nodes.
Situations seems to happen, when I set Firewall INPUT policy to drop on cluster.

How can I fix this?

Attachments

• conn.png
    conn.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 9
Edit:

It looks like machines are trying to communicate with each other through public IP (from Firewall Logs). Shouldn't the communicate using VRACK? How can I fix this?

Hi,
check your /etc/hosts. Does the nodename resolve to the private IP?

It was public IP, I have changed those, but no effect - is reboot needed?

No, a reboot should not be necessary. You probably need to ssh from one node to the other and vice versa in order accept the fingerprints.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!