PVE at different locations - how?

masgo

Jun 24, 2019
I want to use Proxmox at two different locations. My question is how can I connect them to each other?

We already have small PVE cluster at our office. This is ideal for development and testing but not suited to serve the public (internet connection to slow, not enough IPs, etc.).
The plan is to rent a dedicated server at a hosting provider, install PVE on it have a few guests (e.g. webserver) running on that.

I want to somehow connect these two instances and be able to copy/migrate guests between them (offline migration is sufficient). This would enable me to clone the production system, send it back to the office cluster and test changes there.

From what I unterstand about clusters, it is not possible to join these nodes in a single cluster, since the hosted server has limited bandwidth and hight ping (compared to LAN). The NAT in between is probably also bad.

Any ideas on how to realize that?

I don't know how this tool would help me. How does it connect different clusters to each other?

Depends on what you need exactly, but something with a PBS on every location with synchronisation can do the job, .

Reactions: masgo
I want to somehow connect these two instances and be able to copy/migrate guests between them (offline migration is sufficient). This would enable me to clone the production system, send it back to the office cluster and test changes there.
Cross-cluster migration was added with PVE 7.3 as a preview feature. See "qm remote-migrate" command: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/qm.1.html

I don't know how this tool would help me.
It lets you manage the webUI of multiple nodes from a single unified UI without actually forming a cluster.

Reactions: masgo
Thx for the answers. PBS and `qm remote-migrate` seem to be very reasoanable options.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!