PVE as VDI Platform

Jan 25, 2022
Ireland
Has anyone deployed a small/mid-sized VDI using the Prox platform? And if so, what's your experience been?

I'm currently demoing a small cluster w/Ceph for static services at work, mainly license servers that require HA and it's going well so far. However, management is also interested in exploring a VDI setup to host remote and in-office thin clients.

With a limited setup, this seems very doable so long as the clients are restricted to low-impact usage (Win10 OS: office, email, web). My concern is scale in both number and capability if the deployment proves popular.

Compared to commercial alternatives, Prox does not have some key features native. One is a gateway/broker - but I have read some good things about Guacamole. Another is automatic live migration to load balance resources. And solutions for migration of PCI passthrough nodes (if possible, I know NVIDIA has a product for VGPU migration on VMware & Citrix).

Also are there any issues with using ZFS? Ceph certainly doesn't seem appropriate for this use case. HA wouldn't be required - periodic replication attached to a backup server would be more than enough.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!