PVE 8 to 9 In-place Upgrade

Did you actually read and understand the part of the upgrade guide that leesteken not only linked to but even quoted?

Did you manually install and setup systemd-boot?
If no, you should follow the advice of the pve8to9 script and remove the systemd-boot meta-package.
Afterwards check the output of the pve8to9 script again; especially in regards of the systemd-boot-efi and systemd-boot-tools packages. (Afaik, they both should respectively have to be installed in your case...)
 
I have read the upgrade guide many times, I don't know if I manually installed systems-boot as it was so long ago, many years, and I may have had help from someone at the time. So If I remove systemd-boot and then run the script, will it then tell me before any reboot if I need to install system-boot-efi and systemd-boot-tools?
 
yes. you can tell if you manually installed it - if your ESP is managed by proxmox-boot-tool, you didn't. if it isn't, you did.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Neobin
[...] I don't know if I manually installed systems-boot [...]

Most likely, you did not...


So If I remove systemd-boot and then run the script, will it then tell me before any reboot if I need to install system-boot-efi and systemd-boot-tools?

Exactly this is mentioned in the relevant part of the official upgrade guide.
Don't know which guide you have read, but it seems it is/was not the official one...:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrad...ation_automatically_and_should_be_uninstalled


Good luck...