[SOLVED] PVE 7: After installation no network and no console working

Jul 7, 2021
Yesterday I tried to install a PVE 7 environment on a Hetzner AX51 server. During the installation I could ping its IP address while it was booted from the install iso just fine.

After the installation the machine reboots and there is no network anymore. Also the console is dead and I cannot even login to see what went wrong.

Today I installed PVE 6.4 and everything is just working fine.

Thanks a lot for your reply. But I don't have a console so how could I change this? During installation there is not much I can do or is there?

The remote console won't work, tried that...

So your suggestion is to boot from rescue system, install zfs driver etc., mount the pool and then make the changes?

I will try to upgrade vom 6.4 to 7.0 so that I can prepare beforehand. Do I understand correctly that I should add

hwaddress to enp7s0

NOT to vmbr0?

No,

Just set rescue mode on your server then login with SSH to your server

When you connect just do the following command to start your server

Bash:
qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -smp 4 -m 4096 -drive file=/dev/<BootDisk>,format=raw,media=disk  -vnc 127.0.0.1:1

replace the /dev/<BootDisk> to your bootable disk.

then switch the VNC port to your port 8888 local using ssh tunnel:

Bash:
ssh -L 8888:127.0.0.1:5901 root@YourServerIP

finally, you can able to login to PVE and change the network config

I deleted the MAC address for the VMs and Containters in the Proxmox GUI which then reset them to auto. After logging back in they worked fine, without needing to hard-code the MAC in the network file.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!