PVE 7.1 installer aborts /w black screen

moose

Nov 19, 2017
Bavarian Alps
Hi folks,

tonight I tried to install PVE 7.1 on an HP Microserver Gen10 (not +) machine (AMD Opteron X3421 4 x 2,1 GHz). I used an USB stick which I build from proxmox-ve_7.1-2.iso via dd.

Sadly, the behavior of the installer on this machine is a little bit strange. On the other hand it works fine on VMware ;)

But, on the HP Microserver Gen10 I observed the following behavior:

In BIOS I selected UEFI native boot. The stick is recognized, the installer GUI starts and I choose the first option. Then a kind of terminal windows starts in the middle of the installer screen, i.e. with the installer GUI in the back. Then the GUI and the terminal window disappear and a native fullscreen terminal window is shown. After about 10-15 lines (to fast to remember) the screen gets dark / black an the machine hangs. My monitor indicates there is no video signal available anymore.

How do I get the installer running? Or is there another way to get PVE on this machine? I ask because I had PVE 7.1-10 running on this machine so far, but replaced all my hdd (need more space). I.e. the PVE system running before (and it has been running over years now) is on the old smaller disks (and its backups). But, I want to get a fresh clean installation (where I later will ZFS).

But, first I need the installer running and setting up a fresh and clean system. Are there any know issues, may be /w AMD GPUs? Or is there a guided text mode available? Or would you recommend to choose an older installer and update the system after installation?

What would be your experiences and suggestions?

Anys hints/tipps would be greatly appreciated!

Greetinx

moose

Solution:

see here .

To make the change persitent after installation of PVE you've to edit '/etc/default/grub' see here .
Just for be sure you can perform an update-grub afterwards.

Good luck!

Greetinx

moose

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!