PVE 6 to 7 checklist

UHL

Mar 15, 2022
Hi,

We got last 4 warnings, yet not sure where to make the changes to pass 2 and 3, I checked settings no where I could find maxfiles in the proxmox storage UX/UI .

For 4, the custom role Pool.Audit is not present.

Bash:
1 WARN: 4 running guest(s) detected - consider migrating or stopping them.
2 WARN: storage 'ovh-nfs-no03' - parameter 'maxfiles' is deprecated with PVE 7.x and will be removed in a future version, use 'prune-backups' instead.
3 WARN: storage 'local' - parameter 'maxfiles' is deprecated with PVE 7.x and will be removed in a future version, use 'prune-backups' instead.
4 WARN: Custom role 'TerraformProv' contains permission 'Pool.Allocate' - to ensure same behavior add 'Pool.Audit' to this role

Please advise!

I checked settings no where I could find maxfiles in the proxmox storage UX/UI .
Well it got replaced, that's why there's a warning (albeit that one could well be a (new) NOTICE level).

You can get rid of that by editing the Backup Retention settings of each of those storages.
Just alter one of the keep-values (keep-last is what maxfiles was earlier, so increases that by one for example) and submit the form, the backend auto-translates to the new prune retention options.

You can also use the opportunity to change to an improved retention scheme for your setup then - note with Proxmox VE 7.x you will be able to configure that per backup job too, which may be a better option.

Last edited:
Reactions: UHL
After the upgrade of all nodes in the cluster to Proxmox VE 7.x run the following command as root once on any PVE node:
pveum role modify TerraformProv --append --privs Pool.Audit

As for now this only means that between sometime during the upgrade and the time when above command got executed there's a short time period where the role has slightly fewer privileges that it has now.
As one should not run node altering jobs during the upgrade anyway that shouldn't be a big issue.

Last edited:
So I believe that according to above, I am ready to upgrade, wish me luck!

How long does such an upgrade lasts in average?

Depends on the underlying storage and your internet connection. FWIW, one can pre-cache the set of upgradable packages using:
apt full-upgrade --download-only

With that done the upgrade can require just a few minutes for fast (SSD using) systems up to half an hour for the ones on the slower end, only on really slow (or overloaded) systems I'd expect it to require significantly more time than that.

How about disk usage required?
HD space(root) 60.91% (11.91 GiB of 19.56 GiB)

Check the preconditions section of the upgrade guide, one of its points says:
  • At least 4 GiB free disk space on the root mount point.
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_6.x_to_7.0#Preconditions

Note that this is also just a relatively generous estimate, it should be enough for most setups in the wild but the exact usage for the upgrade depends on the specific set of (extra) package installed on your system.

FWIW, apt full-upgrade tells you a quite specific and accurate number for space used or freed due to the upgrade, for example, the last lines before the prompt about continuing look like:

Code:
$ apt full-upgrade
# ----8<---- snip ---->8----
3 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 26.1 MB of archives.
After this operation, 10.2 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

The Need to get 26.1 MB of archives. means the amount that needs to be downloaded, that will also use up space as the (compressed) package needs to be cached locally for the installation. If you already pre-cached via the --download-only flag it should be either zero or pretty small if a new package became upgradable in the meantime.

The After this operation, 10.2 kB of additional disk space will be used. line means the installed size of the packages, this you should have at least space, ideally with a bit room to spare.

Note that there can be also space freed, that would look like: After this operation, 17.4 kB disk space will be freed.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!