PVE 6 + InfluxDB + Grafana

Where you able to resolve it?

I'm having the same issue here, I get host / nodenames / object / type but all of it is in reference to storage space and not cpu / ram / etc...

Same had it setup for an earlier version but now it doesn't work. Any vmid I choose doesn't show anything for cpu and ram.

Same had it setup for an earlier version but now it doesn't work. Any vmid I choose doesn't show anything for cpu and ram.

I am having no issues at all with this dashboard. However, you cannot choose a single vmid but only pve nodes for the upper gauges. The vmids are displayed below in their resp. graphs. Also the setup has been straight forward and according to the docs.

What would be the reason I would be having problems? I see info populate the DB but it's only node info regarding storage.

What's in your PVE status.cfg?
Whats the config for your proxmox db in your influxdb.conf looking like?

Maybe you can login to your influxdb and run a

Code:
show measurements

on the db which is receiving the updates.

I made some progress, they deleting the db and starting it over.

influxdb.conf
influxdb:
server 10.100.10.100
port 8089

I did notice some people have something after the influxdb: ***, but I could not find out what that specifically was. I have a 4-node cluster with influx/grafana in a docker for a home lab that won't be getting any bigger.

/etc/influxdb/influxdb.conf
**top stuff**
[[udp]]
enabled = true
bind-address = "0.0.0.0:8089"
database = "proxmox"
batch-size = 1000
batch-timeout = "1s"

root@influxdb:/# influx
Connected to http://localhost:8086 version 1.8.0
InfluxDB shell version: 1.8.0
> use proxmox
Using database proxmox
> show measurements
name: measurements
name
----
blockstat
cpustat
memory
nics
system

What's in your PVE status.cfg?
Whats the config for your proxmox db in your influxdb.conf looking like?

Maybe you can login to your influxdb and run a

Code:
show measurements

on the db which is receiving the updates.

You're missing the ballooninfo, so I am suspecting, that your data doesn't get through. Also, I opted to create a seperate UDP listener for that proxmos DB on my system, because I didn't want to mix up data from different systems. Did you check if, there's any firewall in place on the influx host, which may prevent the packets going through?

Last edited:
I currently don't have any other udp data coming in that I know of but I'm ok with making one the default and adding a new one just not sure how yet.

There is no firewall on influxdb besides it running on a docker container on proxmox... maybe the proxmox firewall.

Hmm… you're still missing the actual PVE performance data, otherwise it'd look more like this:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-12 um 12.15.02.png
I am still suspecting, that your PVE performance metrics don't get through. Maybe you should really try a seperate database/udp port and reconfigure /etc/pve/status.cfg accordingly.

Hmm, how do I specify a second UDP in my influxdb.conf? Just another duplicate the current UDP but change the port and have it setup for the proxmox db? Then make the regular port a general db?

Yeah… mine looks like this:

Code:
###
### [[udp]]
###
### Controls the listeners for InfluxDB line protocol data via UDP.
###

[[udp]]
  enabled = true
  bind-address = ":8091"
  database = "iceph"
  batch-size = 1000
  batch-timeout = "1s"

[[udp]]
  enabled = true
  bind-address = ":8090"
  database = "proxmox"
  batch-size = 1000
  batch-timeout = "1s"

As you can see, I do have also a separate DB for my Ceph nodes…

I'll give that a try right now, what's your iceph for? In my Proxmox cluster I have Ceph setup and running.

Also do you run influxdb in a docker? I run it in a docker running in a vm on proxmox. I made a change to my config and tried to run service influxdb restart but... it's saying something else is bound to port 8088 which I don't have exposed because I don't even know what it does...

This is really weird, it seems to connect, when I delete the influxdb proxmox and then restart pvestatd it creates a proxmox but isn't filled out properly and only has 1 or 2 nodes listed.

Last edited:
I do run two clusters. One is running the ceph nodes, albeit managed by PVE and the other one is made up of actual proxmox hypervisors, which runs all the guests - and containers. I am actually not into that hyperconverged thingy and like to keep my diversed for several reasons. One being, that Ceph is indeed a very complex thing and I don't like people to mess around with the Ceph nodes. ;)

That said, Ceph has it's own facility for feeding to an influx instance and this is what the iceph database is for. And iceph as in interim-ceph, because that Ceph installation is only a preliminary one, which which will be replaced by bigger setup once I get my NVMe servers freed from the old XEN stuff…

And… no, I don't run Influx/Grafana in Docker, it's actually a physical server.

I only have a few systems at home so it's not a major issue for me to be running it like this. I have a synology nas but don't like running VMs off it and don't have an actual SAN solution.

2 of the nodes still aren't populating influxdb properly, is there some way to test this manually without just waiting for data to populate?

root@influxdb:/# influx
Connected to http://localhost:8086 version 1.8.0
InfluxDB shell version: 1.8.0
> use proxmox
Using database proxmox
> show measurements
name: measurements
name
----
ballooninfo
blockstat
cpustat
memory
nics
system

So there is balloninfo but still nodes are missing.

Not to worry, as I also don't have the nodes measurement in my influx db. Just make sure, you create the new datasource in Grafana and then re-create your dashboard. Btw., I always had to remove and re-import the entire dashboard, just changing the setttings to a new datasource didn't do it for me.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!