PVE 6 + InfluxDB + Grafana

Man this is crazy. I removed and readded the Grafana dashboard and still no change. I've been using Chronograf to "explore" the data and that is where I'm looking at changes in the Influxdb.

The Grafana dashboard is pulling it's data on the server name from this one query: SHOW TAG VALUES FROM system WITH KEY=host WHERE object='nodes'

Unsurprisingly and unfortunately this query doesn't easily translate to Chronografa so I can't easily type this in and see what the db results are. I have change the entire syntax.

I've turned off every firewall that Proxmox has, I can netcat to the proper port and have ensured that the connection can be made.

You can issue this query directly in influx after switching to your proxmox db. This is what this query spits out on my influx:

Code:
> SHOW TAG VALUES FROM system WITH KEY=host WHERE object='nodes'
name: system
key  value
---  -----
host hades
host hydra
host pan
host pandora
host platon

And actually, these are my PVE hosts…

Ok, so after upgrading to 6.2-2 today and rebooting all hosts... I've made progress. I now have all hosts showing up in influxdb and grafana. I'm working on making some tweaks.

In the picture you posted of your system I see that you have all hosts selected. Is the cores/memory/storage info listed for one of those hosts or is it an aggregate of all of the selected one?

Well, partially it is. Memory and Load seem to be aggregated, where as CPU isn't.

hmm, weird I figured that would be the point of being able to select for CPUs.

In my case, the 6.2-2 update seems to have helped the pvestatd service.

Aww… sorry - you meant the gauges… yes, those seem all aggregated. I was talking about the summary, where this isn't the case.

That's the template I also used and it is displaying the actual stats for input reads (no, writes as I just learned) and both network input/output. Those were not super-important to me, so payed them not too much attention, but I will take a look at the missing write I/Os…

Today I suddenly stopped getting data for LXC/VM's in Grafana. I've tried new instances of Grafana and InfluxDB and restarting Proxmox, but still no luck.
I am definitely getting some data still, but basically nothing with any LXC, qemu objects.

I checked /var/sys/logs but it just has this:
Aug 3 09:58:00 proxmox systemd[1]: Started Proxmox VE replication runner. Aug 3 09:59:00 proxmox systemd[1]: Starting Proxmox VE replication runner... Aug 3 09:59:00 proxmox systemd[1]: pvesr.service: Succeeded. Aug 3 09:59:00 proxmox systemd[1]: Started Proxmox VE replication runner. Aug 3 09:59:50 proxmox pvedaemon[14428]: <root@pam> successful auth for user 'root@pam' Aug 3 10:00:00 proxmox systemd[1]: Starting Proxmox VE replication runner... Aug 3 10:00:00 proxmox systemd[1]: pvesr.service: Succeeded. Aug 3 10:00:00 proxmox systemd[1]: Started Proxmox VE replication runner. Aug 3 10:01:00 proxmox systemd[1]: Starting Proxmox VE replication runner... Aug 3 10:01:00 proxmox systemd[1]: pvesr.service: Succeeded. Aug 3 10:01:00 proxmox systemd[1]: Started Proxmox VE replication runner.[ATTACH type="full"]18952[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 2020-08-02.png
    2020-08-02.png
    85.1 KB · Views: 83
Reactions: Matt Hinckley
Today I suddenly stopped getting data for LXC/VM's in Grafana. I've tried new instances of Grafana and InfluxDB and restarting Proxmox, but still no luck.
I am definitely getting some data still, but basically nothing with any LXC, qemu objects.

I checked /var/sys/logs but it just has this:
Aug 3 09:58:00 proxmox systemd[1]: Started Proxmox VE replication runner. Aug 3 09:59:00 proxmox systemd[1]: Starting Proxmox VE replication runner... Aug 3 09:59:00 proxmox systemd[1]: pvesr.service: Succeeded. Aug 3 09:59:00 proxmox systemd[1]: Started Proxmox VE replication runner. Aug 3 09:59:50 proxmox pvedaemon[14428]: <root@pam> successful auth for user 'root@pam' Aug 3 10:00:00 proxmox systemd[1]: Starting Proxmox VE replication runner... Aug 3 10:00:00 proxmox systemd[1]: pvesr.service: Succeeded. Aug 3 10:00:00 proxmox systemd[1]: Started Proxmox VE replication runner. Aug 3 10:01:00 proxmox systemd[1]: Starting Proxmox VE replication runner... Aug 3 10:01:00 proxmox systemd[1]: pvesr.service: Succeeded. Aug 3 10:01:00 proxmox systemd[1]: Started Proxmox VE replication runner.[ATTACH type="full"]18952[/ATTACH]

I was having the same problem. Creating a new influxdb database and changing status.cfg to point to it seems to have resolved it for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: trusty
Confirming this worked for me also. Thanks

I am also having this problem. I tried creating a new database by following these steps:
1. DROP-ing the original database form InfluxDB
2. Changing the port and name in influxdb.conf
3. Changing the port and ID (even though I don't think this needed to change) in status.cfg on the Proxmox host
4. Reboot

However, after following these steps, I still do not have any tag values for the key "host". Are these the correct steps for creating a new database?

I am also having this problem. I tried creating a new database by following these steps:
1. DROP-ing the original database form InfluxDB
2. Changing the port and name in influxdb.conf
3. Changing the port and ID (even though I don't think this needed to change) in status.cfg on the Proxmox host
4. Reboot

However, after following these steps, I still do not have any tag values for the key "host". Are these the correct steps for creating a new database?
I had influxDB in a docker container so I just removed the old one and started a new one with a new db name in the config.

Updated status.cfg
influxdb: proxmox2 server 10.0.0.154 port 8089
Restarted the service systemctl restart pvestatd

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!