pve 6.3 and 7.0 mixed environment?

alyarb

Feb 11, 2020
I have 15 hosts running 6.3. I want to upgrade them to 7.0 and at the same time switch from a single ext4 root FS to a mirrored ZFS setup, so I want to do a clean install on all the hosts, one at a time, migrating VMs around so they are not affected.

Ceph version is 15.2.9 on all nodes. If I upgrade one host per day, lets assume this whole process takes 2 weeks. Is it OK to run 6.3 and 7.0 mixed like this? Should I upgrade to pve 6.4 first? Should I upgrade to Ceph Pacific first?

Anything else I should know? Thanks

please be aware that (especially live) migration is only tested from old to new (and also think about how HA might interfere with this in case you have it enabled). I'd try to keep the duration of the 'mixed state' as short as possible, and follow the upgrade guide closely.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!