PVE 5.4 Ceph Cloud Init Issue

We have a licensed cluster with qemu-server-5.0-51_amd64.deb installed on all hosts and bug still persists. Any ETA or recommendation so we can use Cloud-Init?

Please be more specific. What's the exact error? In which scenario does it happen?
The original error reported in this thread should be solved by qemu-server 5.0-51.
Did you reboot after updating? Or at least restart pvedaemon and pveproxy?

The error is:

Code:
task started by HA resource agent
qemu-img: Could not open '/dev/rbd/ssd/vm-345-cloudinit': Could not open '/dev/rbd/ssd/vm-345-cloudinit': No such file or directory
rbd: create error: (17) File exists2019-05-15 10:44:19.560397 7fe42796d100 -1 librbd: rbd image vm-345-cloudinit already exists
TASK ERROR: error with cfs lock 'storage-ceph-ssd': rbd create vm-345-cloudinit' error: rbd: create error: (17) File exists2019-05-15 10:44:19.560397 7fe42796d100 -1 librbd: rbd image vm-345-cloudinit already exists

Virtual Environment 5.4-5

We are using an external CEPH cluster (jewel) with krbd and the issue appeared for us on last thursday when we upgraded from 5.3 to 5.4.

I upgraded qemu-server 5.0-51 on all nodes and restarded pvedaemon (but not pveproxy). I also rebooted one of the nodes. It keeps giving us this error on any node including the rebooted one.

Maybe I should restart pveproxy on all nodes and try again?

I confirm that the issue is still present even with the patch installed and daemons restarted - using the latest version from pve-no-subscription with the patch.

After patching when you first create a VM with cloudinit drive on ceph rbd storage it starts/stops without any problem.
If you regenerate the cloudinit image the error throws, VM cannot be migrated/started, etc.

The error is the same for the cloudinit drive: ....error: rbd: create error: (17) File exists

As a note, it will be nice if we could also assing the additional IP addresses for VMs using cloudinit.
And also, it would be nice if we can create a clone from a VM template with lets say disk size of 50GB a new VM with different/increased disk size, as cloudinit comes with the required modules to resize automatically.

This seems to be a problem with 'krbd' and 'qemu-img info'. Please try without krbd for now.

Last edited:
We expect it to work with krbd in the nearby future aswell, as some of us might see performance difference when using krbd.

Ok maybe I am dull, but I don't see an option to use librbd for cloud-init images.
If I remove the cloud-init drive the issue disappears.

I have a hyperconverged cluster running ceph luminous

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-06-05 09-08-56.png
    Screenshot from 2019-06-05 09-08-56.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 14
I believe he was talking about the storage itself, not the drive. You can see and change that from Datacenter -> Storage.
The ceph storage, when editing, should have the option KRBD there.

Though some of us might notice performance difference, thats why I will wait till they will fix this issue.

It should work with krbd in qemu-server 5.0-52.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!