PVE 5.2 UEFI install on legacy system

Kenneth_H

Feb 28, 2017
Hi
A few days ago, the boot drive (U.SB stick) for my PVE host, decided to die. I did have a backup image of the drive and a backup of all virtual machines, so I simply flashed the backup image onto a similar drive and the server booted normally again.

I know that Proxmox is not that well suited for running on "normal" USB storage devices, so I bought a M.2 NGFF SSD and a USB3 to NGFF converter, so that I could basically have an M.2 SSD on the USB interface, which would then solve the problem of wearing out the USB sticks as well as give me the full performance of the USB 2.0 interface on my HP DL360p Gen8.

To make sure that there were no issues and no problems with the currently working installation, I decided to make a fresh PVE 5.2 installation on the new SSD and this time I wanted to run ZFS, so that I could easily create a snapshot the same way as I do for the 2.5" SSD drives that store all of my virtual machines.
The installation ran fine with the PVE iso mounted over the iLO adapter remote console, but when I rebooted the server, it was unable to boot.
I then restarted into the PVE installer and created a single drive ext4 installation instead of single drive ZFS installation, but same result.

I then connected the drive to my X79 workstation, which is using the same CPU as the server and found that during boot it allowed me to boot the device in UEFI-mode. I then tried to boot it in Legacy (BIOS) mode, as that should be how the system was installed. Trying to boot it fails telling me that there is no bootable device.
I then restarted the system and booted with the UEFI option and then the grub bootloader showed up.

I do not know why, but it seems as if the PVE 5.2 installer is always installing in UEFI-mode regardless of whether it is a legacy system or a UEFI system.

The USB stick, that the system is currently booting from, was originally installed with PVE 5.1 and ext4 formatting when PVE 5.1 was initially released and then later it was upgraded to PVE 5.2

Is there a way for me to convert the UEFI installed system to be bootable on legacy server or would have to found another way to get PVE on to the server?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!