PVE 4.4 to 5.2 Upgrade failing to boot

tsumaru720

May 1, 2016
Hi guys

I've tonight attempted to upgrade one of my servers from Proxmox 4 to Proxmox 5 - I followed the guide on the wiki for upgrading and it all seemed to go well until I rebooted the box once done.

Trying to load the new kernel pve-kernel-4.15.17-3-pve I get what appear to be traces possibly relating to ZFS (The text size on the console means I cant read the full history and when I scroll, it jumps back to the bottom because of the start job)

I used the ZFS install option when I first set up this server a while back on proxmox 4 so the entire system sits under 1 zfs vol.

FWIW I also tried pve-kernel-4.13.16-2-pve from repo but that dropped me into a boot shell stating that the zfs pool couldnt be found

Booting pve-kernel-4.4.128-1-pve works fine but so far I'm not having much luck on the new kernel. Has anyone come across this during an upgrade?

Thanks

So Further info - none of the kernels in 4.15 branch work at all. I tried the latest 4.13 and it seems it just cant find my zfs pool. Booting the old Proxmox 4 kernel (4.4-128) the server boots, I can see the pool and all subvols, but Proxmox doesnt find any disks for my KVM VMs. (LXC stuff work fine).

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? This is currently blocking me from updating this box to 4.15

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!