Putting HDD to sleep

StanTastic

Aug 28, 2019
I see that the topic gets mulled over and over again, but there's no clear solution I found.

One of my drives is used for XPenology, and it really should only be working 2-3 hours a day. Unfortunately I'm using Atom J1900, which means I have no IOMMU that could be used to pass the controller to VM (would be preferred solution).

One thing that works is disabling pvestatd, but with this I lose a lot of info about my VM host.

Is there any alternative?

Hi,

Maybe you will think again if you really want this. Consider that any hdd will be mostly be under mechanical stress during on/off when in almost 1 second will start from 0 to 7200 rpm. The same will be for temperture (20-25 C before start to 34-40 C on full load at 7200 rpm).

The result will be that you will use your hdd for less time because of unnecessary stop/start.

Good luck / Bafta

Thanks for the reminder, but I have good experience with that - I haven't had a drive failed due to this, and I'm putting my drives to sleep for the past 20+ years :)

All right, so I modified /etc/lvm/lvm.conf with the following filter:
global_filter = [ "r|/dev/sda*|", "r|/dev/zd.*|", "r|/dev/mapper/pve-.*|" "r|/dev/mapper/.*-(vm|base)--[0-9]+--disk--[0-9]+|"] - after this dstat shows way less io on the drive (for me it's /dev/sda).

Then I downloaded hd-idle from https://github.com/adelolmo/hd-idle.

Enabled the service in /etc/default/hd-idle, and now I'm testing if it has proper effects.

Hi again,
I can confirm this works, the drive is now on standby about ~60% of time. For some reason the guest keeps waking it up. Oh well...

Reactions: James Crook

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!