ProxmoxVE Doesn't Support Letsencrypt CA?

nabor

Feb 10, 2021
I have both Poxmox VE and PBS running. Recently, I set up Letsencrypt on PBS, however, VE is still not trusting the SSL. I had to manually add the Fingerprint in the storage options.

Am I missing something?

Hi Moayad,

I'm using certbot for getting Letsencrypt certs and created symbolic links to /etc/proxmox-backup/. Added acl so that the backup user can read the certs. No access issues with any browsers.

ACME has already registered on VE. However, it doesn't help because VE is using an internal DNS, not reachable from the outside.

I think this issue is because of the VE is not trusting Letsencrypt CA. If I issue curl on my VE against the PBS, I got this error:
Code:
root@proxmom_ve # curl https://pbx.example.com:8007
curl: (60) SSL certificate problem: unable to get local issuer certificate
More details here: https://curl.haxx.se/docs/sslcerts.html

curl failed to verify the legitimacy of the server and therefore could not
establish a secure connection to it. To learn more about this situation and
how to fix it, please visit the web page mentioned above.

does it work in the browser? if so, you might have setup the wrong file (just the certificate instead of certificate+CA certificate) with PBS. browser fetch intermediate certificates if referenced in the cert itself, but most other clients including PVE don't do that.

Reactions: Moayad
does it work in the browser? if so, you might have setup the wrong file (just the certificate instead of certificate+CA certificate) with PBS. browser fetch intermediate certificates if referenced in the cert itself, but most other clients including PVE don't do that.
The browser works fine. I'm using the "cert.pem" file which is generated by Letsencrypt and I believe that's the only cert file I can use and the cert+ca bundle I think it's an intermediate cert?

Code:
# ll /etc/proxmox-backup/proxy.*
-rw-r----- 1 root backup 3243 Feb  5 15:29 /etc/proxmox-backup/proxy.key.bak
-rw-r----- 1 root backup 2163 Feb  5 15:29 /etc/proxmox-backup/proxy.pem.bak
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     55 Feb 10 15:07 /etc/proxmox-backup/proxy.key -> /etc/letsencrypt/live/pbs.example.com/privkey.pem
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     52 Feb 16 15:48 /etc/proxmox-backup/proxy.pem -> /etc/letsencrypt/live/pbs.example.com/cert.pem

Last edited:
If browser works but not curl (and other CLI tools not side loading the rest of the chain) with such an error then it's really using just the leaf cert instead of the fullchain one, so adapt and try:

Bash:
ln -sf /etc/letsencrypt/live/pbs.example.com/fullchain.pem /etc/proxmox-backup/proxy.pem

FYI: we have some documentation for Let's Encrypt and PBS with acme.sh as ACME client:
https://pbs.proxmox.com/index.php/HTTPS_Certificate_Configuration#Let.27s_Encrypt_using_acme.sh

Last edited:
If browser works but not curl (and other CLI tools not side loading the rest of the chain) with such an error then it's really using just the leaf cert instead of the fullchain one, so adapt and try:

Bash:
ln -sf /etc/letsencrypt/live/pbs.example.com/fullchain.pem /etc/proxmox-backup/proxy.pem

FYI: we have some documentation for Let's Encrypt and PBS with acme.sh as ACME client:
https://pbs.proxmox.com/index.php/HTTPS_Certificate_Configuration#Let.27s_Encrypt_using_acme.sh
Thanks Thomas! This fixed the VE connection issue. However, one of my bare mental servers start complaining SSL issue:
Code:
#  proxmox-backup-client backup root.pxar:/ --repository backup@pbs@pbs.example.com:backups
Password for "backup@pbs": ****************
Starting backup: host/web1/2021-02-16T08:09:42Z
Client name: web1
Starting backup protocol: Tue Feb 16 21:09:58 2021
Error: error trying to connect: the handshake failed: error:1416F086:SSL routines:tls_process_server_certificate:certificate verify failed:ssl/statem/statem_clnt.c:1915:: unable to get local issuer certificate

Stupid question, but just to be sure: did you reload the API daemons after replacing the link?
Bash:
systemctl reload proxmox-backup-proxy

(or over web interface)

Stupid question, but just to be sure: did you reload the API daemons after replacing the link?
Bash:
systemctl reload proxmox-backup-proxy

(or over web interface)
Surely I did it on the PBS. If I didn't reload the service, VE wouldn't work.

Yeah thought so, that's why I added the "stupid question" prefix :)

It's a bit weird though, as Proxmox VE uses the proxmox-backup-client itself for most stuff, and the client works here with Let's Encrypt provided certs just fine since a while.

Is there any proxy or cache in between? Also, is this the exact same PVE server you added the storage too or another machine?

Yeah thought so, that's why I added the "stupid question" prefix :)

It's a bit weird though, as Proxmox VE uses the proxmox-backup-client itself for most stuff, and the client works here with Let's Encrypt provided certs just fine since a while.

Is there any proxy or cache in between? Also, is this the exact same PVE server you added the storage too or another machine?
Exactly the same PBS server and same datastore. It works on another machine (web2). If I switch the cert back on PBS, the web1 works again, BUT web2 stopped working and showing a similar error.

Does proxmox client has cache?

Does proxmox client has cache?
Not really for connections, albeit there's a fingerprint cache in $HOME/.config/proxmox-backup/fingerprints - you could try to clear that, albeit the unable to get local issuer certificate error is before fingerprint checks even can happen, so not really sure if that helps.

Is the ca-certificates package installed?

What does curl think?
Bash:
curl https://pbsdev1.pmx.lamprecht.org:8007

Not really for connections, albeit there's a fingerprint cache in $HOME/.config/proxmox-backup/fingerprints - you could try to clear that, albeit the unable to get local issuer certificate error is before fingerprint checks even can happen, so not really sure if that helps.

Is the ca-certificates package installed?

What does curl think?
Bash:
curl https://pbsdev1.pmx.lamprecht.org:8007

You're right, I emptied the fingerprint file and still no luck.

The ca bundle is installed and curl looks happy:
Code:
# rpm -qa|grep ca-certificates
ca-certificates-2020.2.41-70.0.el7_8.noarch
# curl https://pbs.example.com:8007
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
    <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge">
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, maximum-scale=1, user-scalable=no">
    <title>pbsbackup - Proxmox Backup Server</title>
    <link rel="icon" sizes="128x128" href="/images/logo-128.png" />
    <link rel="apple-touch-icon" sizes="128x128" href="/pve2/images/logo-128.png" />
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/extjs/theme-crisp/resources/theme-crisp-all.css" />
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/extjs/crisp/resources/charts-all.css" />
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/fontawesome/css/font-awesome.css" />
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/widgettoolkit/css/ext6-pmx.css" />
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/css/ext6-pbs.css" />

<script type='text/javascript'> function gettext(buf) { return buf; } </script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="/extjs/ext-all.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="/extjs/charts.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript">
    Proxmox = {
        Setup: { auth_cookie_name: 'PBSAuthCookie' },
        NodeName: "proxbackup1",
        UserName: "",
        CSRFPreventionToken: "",
    };
    </script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="/widgettoolkit/proxmoxlib.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="/extjs/locale/locale-en.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
      Ext.History.fieldid = 'x-history-field';
    </script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="/qrcodejs/qrcode.min.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="/js/proxmox-backup-gui.js"></script>
  </head>
  <body>
    <!-- Fields required for history management -->
    <form id="history-form" class="x-hidden">
      <input type="hidden" id="x-history-field"/>
    </form>
  </body>
</html>

are the client binaries identical? maybe something went wrong at build time that causes it to not pick up ca-certificates?

Possibly, the server which is not working is running Centos7 with 1.0.6 while the working one is running Debian 10 with 1.0.8. Those're the only differences.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!