Proxmox2 with GUI.

SamTzu

Renowned Member
I'm playing around with Proxmox2 to see if I can use it as a Workstation OS.So far so good.I installed Proxmox2 on my Workstation's SSDrive and then did apt-get install gnome.Desktop installation went well.I had to edit /etc/pam.d/gdm3 file and comment out the 4th "auth" line that prevented root login with GUI.After that I had GUI in use.Now if I could only get my new ATI card to work with dual display. No luck so far.

Why would you select a Virtualization Server OSas a workstation OS?
Hi,
in some cases it's makes sense to use pve also on an workstation. I use pve2.0 on my laptop with lxde as desktop environment. Works good and I can do testing some things much faster, than over vpn-connection on other servers.

And "VM to go" is also a nice feature... In any cases more for testing and not for production.

Udo

Exactemo...

Every now and then I test whether Proxmox could be used as a work-station. This would triple my productivity considering how much time testing normally takes. (Even though we have separate test servers.)
Proxmox2 was almost there. Only problem/conflict is still with Display card drivers (ATI/Nvidia) and OpenVZ kernel.
OpenVZ kernel just does not work well with video. Because of this I went back to Ubuntu on my workstation. It would work fine if KVM would be used only because then normal kernel can be installed. (Tried it with latest Ubuntu kernel. Works fine.)
This would kind of defeat the purpose though. (Since KVM hides files inside files and this slows things down.)

Example scenario:
Think about VM1 (torrent-server) that can access files from VM2 (fileserver) that are both running on the same Proxmox2 server's filesystem.
Container based isolation of systems (apps).

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!