Proxmox ZFS pool to SMB/NFS Share

Z3R0X

Apr 4, 2020
Could anyone help me with the following: I'm thinking about the best way to create both NFS and SMB shares from my 2 pools (1 x 4Tb disk and 4x 3Tb disk in Z2). My current solution is passing the disk, not the PCI, to a FreeNAS VM (this works like a charm), however as this is strongly discouraged i'm looking for another way.

My first idea was to use PVE as both the SMB and NFS server but reading further this was also discouraged. This should be moved to a seperate LXC as far as i've read. I then started to experiment with both TurnKey Fileserver and OMV but im struggling to see how a mount point works. I just want to pass the full disks to either OMV or TK FileServer and then create the NFS/SMB share. The option "Create Disk Size" however confuses me. Should this be the max amount of storage ( same as my pools) so my disks can just be r/w over NFS/SMB?

I'm learning along the way and i've googled extensively on all topics but i'm still unsure on the best way to proceed.

To summarize i just want my current Freenas Z2 Pool moved to PVE, create a second pool (solo disk) and create both a SMB AND NFS share out of these 2 pools.
I then want to the solo disk into a new LXC container (transmission) to be able to download to it.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

It all depends on the use case. If it is a single server nothing speaks against running the NFS/SMB share directly on Proxmox VE. You will possibly need to back up ma few config files to be able to restore the functionality in case of a server failure. Though once you want to share data that is only in one location, outside of a VM/Container you are not able to migrate that to another server anyway.

I privately use Proxmox VE for my NAS and have some of my services installed directly on it, such as network shares, download servers, and such.
If I need to run some VMs or containers I am able to do so without much hassle as it is PVE ;)

Other people will probably disagree with that approach and want every single service to be packed up nicely in its own VM or container.

When it comes down to it, PVE is a Debian with additional PVE packages and some are replaced with the PVE packages.

To summarize i just want my current Freenas Z2 Pool moved to PVE, create a second pool (solo disk) and create both a SMB AND NFS share out of these 2 pools.

So, you have a third pool or a single disk to run your PVE? If not, how should that work if you want to passthrough all disks to a VM? I don't get why you use PVE in the first place, if yields no additional functionality (no snapshot or backup), just more layers.

It all depends on the use case. If it is a single server nothing speaks against running the NFS/SMB share directly on Proxmox VE. You will possibly need to back up ma few config files to be able to restore the functionality in case of a server failure. Though once you want to share data that is only in one location, outside of a VM/Container you are not able to migrate that to another server anyway.

I privately use Proxmox VE for my NAS and have some of my services installed directly on it, such as network shares, download servers, and such.
If I need to run some VMs or containers I am able to do so without much hassle as it is PVE ;)

Other people will probably disagree with that approach and want every single service to be packed up nicely in its own VM or container.

When it comes down to it, PVE is a Debian with additional PVE packages and some are replaced with the PVE packages.

Thanks for your reply aaron. It just a matter of doing the correct thing. It's like creating a new user instead of running everything as a root. Im just trying to adapt to best practices instead if choosing the "easiest" solution. I have considered to just run SMB and NFS directly on my PVE but i was interested as to what the best practice was. I keep reading about mountpoints and to pass the drives to LXC's etc. etc, but i can't figure out exactly how.

A third option would be (since i love FreeNAS) to just get a seperate HBA and passthrough that PCIe to FreeNAS and be done with it.

So, you have a third pool or a single disk to run your PVE? If not, how should that work if you want to passthrough all disks to a VM? I don't get why you use PVE in the first place, if yields no additional functionality (no snapshot or backup), just more layers.

That is correct. I have a third Z1 pool to run my VM's and LXC's. PVE is there to manage my containers and VM's.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!