Proxmox zfs not releasing space occupied by removed vms

boguo

Apr 10, 2020
i am running Virtual Environment 6.1-8 on a host. The host machine halted due to the root space getting full or close to full. So I moved a few vms to a different Proxmox node. However, the root space did not reduce much if at all. I am baffled by this...

Here are couple of screenshots of a host terminal session.

Selection_999(036).png
rpool/ROOT/pve-1 is has a size 1.7TB with 91% full. But the following shot indicateed there were only 4 vms with a combined the space useage of about 130 G, far fewer than the the 1.7TB capacity of the host.

INBOX%3E66698
Selection_999(037).png

Wonder anyone has suggesions that would allow us to avoid the re-installation of the host machine.

Cheers!

the used space is in your / dataset rpool/ROOT/pve-1 - possibly you have backups or guest volume stored on the local storage (/var/lib/vz) ? what does pvesm list local output?

then it must be something else. you can use something like ncdu or iterative calls to du -sm -x /PATH/* to find out where space is used.

Thanks Fabian.

I just found out that the backups that were supposed to go into the USB disk actually went into the USB mount point folder! The USB automount somehow never worked after the recent re-building of the Proxmox host machine.

Here is fstab entry at the /usbbackup mount point:

/dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:12.2-usb-0:1:1.0-scsi-0:0:0:0-part1 /usbbackup ext4 defaults 0

Any advice on how to setup USB automount when the USB is connected/disconnected?

Cheers

Bo

you need some sort of udev integration for that, or mount/umount in a vzdump hook script if you only want it mounted for the duration of the backup tasks.

Fabian,

Just curious, if a hook script option is added to the vzdump.cron, will it be overwritten next time the backup settings are changed via the web ui?

Cheers,

Bo

you can set it in /etc/vzdump.conf globally. I am not sure which custom edits the crontab parser might preserve..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!