Proxmox Xeon CPU upgrade choice

According to these two pages they both use the same vcore which ultimately is responsible for power consumption along with the clock:
https://www.pc-erfahrung.de/fileadmin/php-skripte/cpu_tabelle_info.php?ID=2313
https://www.pc-erfahrung.de/fileadmin/php-skripte/cpu_tabelle_info.php?ID=2320

Sadly the Intel ark does not specify this.
So I'd say measured per core it will bring you in a similar range. Since 2697 has 2 more cores it still will a little more energy.
At least this is my guess/assumption.

Reactions: newpain01
Installed the E5-2650L v2 and testing the system now.
Power consumption increased by 20W idle, so now I am at 80W and I am getting a warning about a hardware bug "L1TF CPU bug present", but other than that, it's running fine.

E5-2650Lv2 has 20W more idle then E5-1620 v2 ? really ?

Furthermore, E5-1620v2 should have the same L1TF bug. Have a look at microcode update and test with https://github.com/speed47/spectre-meltdown-checker if you care about security
Yeah, I was really surprised about the higher power consumption considering the E5-2650L v2 has 70W TDP and the E5-1620 v2 has 130W TDP. I expected a similar consumption. This 80W is with a single SSD and some crappy nvidia quadro k600 card (which has Max Power Consumption 41W).

Furthermore, E5-1620v2 should have the same L1TF bug.
Interesting! I wasn't getting any warnings with the E5-1620 v2. Will take a look at the update, thanks. I read here on the forum that you can disable SMT in the BIOS, but that comes at a performance hit, so I don't care about it too much, since this is just for a homelab use.

Yeah, I was really surprised about the higher power consumption considering the E5-2650L v2 has 70W TDP and the E5-1620 v2 has 130W TDP.
TDP does not necessarily let's you tie back to (idle) consumption. That is also documented in the wikipedia article related to it, as well as other sources. It only shows under full load you needs a more capable cooling system for the s5-1620.
The e5-2650l has more than twice the amount of cores, so I am not too surprised. Also in idle they need energy and this is what you see.
I'd expect that when you run under (full) load that the difference will flip around.

Reactions: RolandK
20W is still a lot. Don't remember numbers, but upgrading my E5-2620v4 to E5-2683v4 (from 8 to 16 cores; same clocking) only caused a bit of increased idle consumption, but not that much.

30W idle (PVE with no VMs/LXCs running) on a X10SRM-F, 2 fans, 2x 16GB RAM and 2 SSDs with all possible power saving options enabled.
With 2x idling VMs/LXCs (so CPU at <5% load) on a X10SRM-F and 4 HDDs + 4 SSDs + LSI HBA2008 + 5x fans + 2x 16GB RAM its fluctuating between 66-87 with peaks to 130W (all power saving options already optimized with schedutil and clocking capped at 2.1 GHz).

20W idle (PVE with no VMs/LXCs running), 35W with 9x idleing VMs/LXCs and peaks to 83W for a E3 1230v3 on a X10SLL-F, 2 fans, 4x 8GB RAM and 2 SSDs with all possible power saving options enabled.

The 2683v4 on a X10SRi-F, 5 fans, 4 HDDs, 14 SSDs, 2x LSI HBA2008, 1x GT710, 1x Connectx-3, 1x i350-t4 , 6x 16GB RAM is running at ~93W without any geusts running, at ~116W with 15 idleing guests running and peaks to 180W. Again, all power saving options optimized, schedutil and clocking limited to 2.1 GHz.

So I went with the 1230v3 for my 24/7 PVE node, with the 2620v4 for my on-demand PVE backup node and with the 2683v4 for my on-demand main PVE node.

Last edited:
Reactions: VGE
30W idle on a X10SRM-F, 2 fans, 2x 16GB RAM and 2 SSDs with all possible power saving options enabled.
With 2x idling VMs/LXCs (so CPU at <5% load) on a X10SRM-F and 4 HDDs + 4 SSDs + LSI HBA2008 + 5x fans + 2x 16GB RAM its fluctuating between 66-87 with peaks to 130W (all power saving options already optimized with schedutil and clocking capped at 2.3 GHz).
Thank you! Do you like the X10SRM-F? Im looking at a similar setup.

Thank you! Do you like the X10SRM-F? Im looking at a similar setup.
Yeah, great board. Runs rock solid, no proprietary parts, webKVM, updates and drivers not hidden behind a subscription (but EoL so last security patch was 2021) and works fine with PCI passhrough. It's just a bit annoying that it only got a single M.2 slot (so no NVMe mirror, but it supports 4x4 and 4x4x4x4 bifurication in case you want to add a cheap M.2 PCI card) and that it is only using single channel RAM. Didn't noticed it when buying it as the RAM slots where labeled A to D and the v4 Xeons support up to quad channel. So I thought 1 DIMM per channel and not 1 channel with 4 DIMMs. But switched to a X10SRi-F because I needed way more PCI and RAM slots.

Last edited:
Yeah, great board. Runs rock solid, no proprietary parts, webKVM, updates and drivers not hidden behind a subscription (but EoL so last security patch was 2021) and works fine with PCI passhrough. It's just a bit annoying that it only got a single M.2 slot (so no NVMe mirror, but it supports 4x4 and 4x4x4x4 bifurication in case you want to add a cheap M.2 PCI card) and that it is only using single channel RAM. Didn't noticed it when buying it as the RAM slots where labeled A to D and the v4 Xeons support up to quad channel. So I thought 1 DIMM per channel and not 1 channel with 4 DIMMs. But switched to a X10SRi-F because I needed way more PCI and RAM slots.
Awesome! The X10SRi-F is also on my list. Is it better than the SRM-F?

Awesome! The X10SRi-F is also on my list. Is it better than the SRM-F?
SRM-F is only MicroATX with only single channel memory with 4 slots, 1x PCIe 3.0 16x, 2x PCIe 3.0 8x, 1x M.2.
SRi-F is ATX with dual channel memory with 8 slots, 1 PCIe 3.0 16x, 2 PCIe 3.0 8x, 1 PCIe 3.0 4x, 1 PCIe 2.0 4x, 1 PCIe 2.0 1x and no M.2.
I would prefer a SRL-F over the SRi-F but used SRL-F are hard to get for a reasonable price.

So if your are planning to build a bigger one-for-everything-server the SRi-F gives you way more options for expansion. I use a GPU for passthrough so media playback of a WinVM won't suck and that I can connect the VM to my TV as a virtual HTPC. Quad port Gbit NIC for my virtualized router. 10Gbit NIC for fast access of my files stored on a NAS VM. Two HBA cards I passthrough into a NAS VM so I can use 16 disks there without overhead. I would like to have a even bigger E-ATX board with more PCIe slots so I could use my M.2 carrier card but those would come with dual sockets and this would be reasonable with european electricity prizes.

Last edited:
SRM-F is only MicroATX with only single channel memory with 4 slots, 1x PCIe 3.0 16x, 2x PCIe 3.0 8x, 1x M.2.
SRi-F is ATX with dual channel memory with 8 slots, 1 PCIe 3.0 16x, 2 PCIe 3.0 8x, 1 PCIe 3.0 4x, 1 PCIe 2.0 4x, 1 PCIe 2.0 1x and no M.2.
I would prefer a SRL-F over the SRi-F but used SRL-F are hard to get for a reasonable price.

So if your are planning to build a bigger one-for-everything-server the SRi-F gives you way more options for expansion. I use a GPU for passthrough so media playback of a WinVM won't suck and that I can connect the VM to my TV as a virtual HTPC. Quad port Gbit NIC for my virtualized router. 10Gbit NIC for fast access of my files stored on a NAS VM. Two HBA cards I passthrough into a NAS VM so I can use 16 disks there without overhead. I would like to have a even bigger E-ATX board with more PCIe slots so I could use my M.2 carrier card but those would come with dual sockets and this would be reasonable with european electricity prizes.
Ok that made my decision easier for the SRi-F. Im going this route with the 2620V4 or 2630V4 to use as a proxmox-host with nearly the same pcie cards (no GPU and no Q-NIC). 2 HBA + 2 Port10gbit SPF+ NIC. Good to know that it fits all that :). Any other tips or info?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!