Proxmox wont boot. Not sure where to start

Easiest would be entire folder, ensure's you do not miss anything relevant and also get the storage config, which let's you also start a bit faster after the reinstallation.

For a single standalone node, I'd in all cases save and restore (single node only!)

Code:
/etc/pve/qemu-server/*.conf
/etc/pve/lxc/*.conf
# storage cfg
/etc/pve/storage.cfg

# backup jobs
/etc/pve/vzdump.cron

# firewall rules/options
/etc/pve/firewall/*.fw

Thanks, will let you know how it goes. Thanks for all your help.

I was able to find and copy recent backups of the VMs and the /etc folder off of my rpool to another storage medium but am having a weird bug with the other 2 pools.

After importing the other 2 pools I ran zpool list and it reported 3 pools and each pool containing the appropriate amount of data (for example my 'Bucket' pool has 93.5Gb of data and is 40% full. But when I try and cd to the mount point of the pool, it has no files in it. its completely empty. Also when I run df -h it says the pools are 1% full.

Screenshot.

I ran a zdb -C -h Bucket and it came back with this (notice the last line, not sure if that is significant)

Screenshot 2

How do I get the file structure to show up?

Last edited:
looks like your datasets are not mounted. zfs mount -a should mount all datasets that are set to auto-mount.

looks like your datasets are not mounted. zfs mount -a should mount all datasets that are set to auto-mount.

Well the puzzle just keeps getting more complicated.
Now my server won’t boot into Proxmox via USB. It was working fine but when I rebooted one time, i selected Debug mode from the grub screen and it gets stuck at this screen here every time.

I tried re-flashing the usb drive with proxmox 6.1 again from a new download, tried a new flash drive and a new USB port.
Really confused now.

does it finish if you wait longer?

I left it for a few minutes and it didnt do anything. I can wait longer if necessary. It hadn't done that before so I figured it was stuck.

SO im basically in data recovery mode now. I could never get Proxmox to boot after many attempts from multiple flash drives but I was able to get FreeNAS to boot. I chose it simply because it has ZFS support and thought I can use it to recover my data. I installed it on a second flash drive connected to the server and booted to it. After doing so I was able to import my ZFS pools, and managed to find the data from the pools. The data isn't in /poolname/data its in /dev/zvol/poolname/data.

Can someone please educate me on how I can get the data from the /zvol/poolname location? These seem to be treated as a volume maybe so I can't go inside it?

I also need to figure out how to mount an external hard drive to FreeNAS so I have somewhere to copy the files to.

not an expert for freebsd's ZFS implementation, but you should be able to mount regular filesystem datasets just like under Linux. maybe you need an explicit "zfs mount" ?

not an expert for freebsd's ZFS implementation, but you should be able to mount regular filesystem datasets just like under Linux. maybe you need an explicit "zfs mount" ?
Just wanted to give y’all an update.
I am using 2 m1215 HBA cards in IT mode to connect my drives and it seems that Proxmox has decided it doesn’t like those anymore. I tried booting with and without the cards connected and the Proxmox usb booted fine without the cards connected and ironically it booted fine a few times after I connected the cards back again but then stopped booting again.

I tried Proxmox 5.4 and 6.1 and both wouldn’t boot With the cards connected. (as described above)
I then tried Freenas and Hyper-V. Both booted fine.

Not sure where to go from here as I can’t find anything wrong with my cards - all drives are showing up.
Ps these have been working fine for a year. Then all of a sudden took a dump and wouldn’t boot. Then wouldn’t even boot from install usb.

Hi I have a problem with the old laptop Lenovo G50-30 to boot after installation. This is how I resolved the issue.

1. Once you see the blue selection table press e to edit commands before booting.
2. change root=dev/mapper pve-root ro quiet to root=dev/mapper pve-root ro quiet nomodeset
3. press ctrl+x
4. login
5. modprobe -r snd_hda_intel (thats stop accidental reboot with hdaudio error)
6. nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf add line blacklist snd_hda_intel (ctrl+o to write and ctlr+x to exit)
7. nano /etc/default/grub
8. change line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet nomodeset"
9. update-grub
10. shutdown -r now

I would appreciate for feedback if this helps anybody save time.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!