Proxmox WIFI interface in bridge

kekosz

Sep 8, 2022
Hi!
Is it possible to put the wifi interface into the bridge? Ye, I know it`s not the best solution but i cannot use a ethernet cable.

Hi!
Is it possible to put the wifi interface into the bridge? Ye, I know it`s not the best solution but i cannot use a ethernet cable.
You can but your guests won't be able to access the internet or other hosts on the LAN. You would need to setup a NAT configuraton, NATing between the bridge and the wifi interface. See the wiki: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/WLAN

Last edited:
So should I set up wifi interface as normal and leave bridge as empty? Then configure NAT?

Two more question to you bro. The virtual machines will not get addresses from my core router sure? And the second one... will I have access to stuff on VM from out of proxmox?

Two more question to you bro. The virtual machines will not get addresses from my core router sure?
Your router won't see any VMs. All it will see is the PVE host which acts as another router doing the NAT between your LAN and another private subnet you use for your VMs. This is needed as the Wifi AP will drop all packets that doesn't come from the PVE host itself (MAC of the Wifi interace). So the PVE host has to act as a man-in-the-middle between your Wifi AP and your VMs.
will I have access to stuff on VM from out of proxmox?
If you set up some port-forward yes.

Last edited:
Okay. I tested and everything works. But If i am trying open port on PROXMOX ex. I want open port for vm which have the webstie. I would like to reach this out of the proxmox. Should I open ports on Proxmox or in VM?

Okay. I tested and everything works. But If i am trying open port on PROXMOX ex. I want open port for vm which have the webstie. I would like to reach this out of the proxmox. Should I open ports on Proxmox or in VM?
I tink you would need to add a custom iptables rule to port-forward.

Sure. Gonna penetrate the documentation. Okay... so last question is: I am testing NAT on proxmox. And i see that my VM`s dont have internet connection. Should I add somethink else?

1681153829714.png
This is conf of VM network interface
where 10.10.10.0/24 is a private IP
where 192.168.1.0/24 is a "public"

And there is conf of PROXMOX network interfaces
1681153937885.png
And this is routes print of VM

1681153974718.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!