Proxmox VM freezes for REAL when issuing guest-agent 'fs freeze'

Shadow Sysop

Mar 7, 2021
When performing backups on only this particular VM, a CentOS 7 cPanel installation, if there is already a backup present, the VM will hang at the issuing guest-agent 'fs-freeze' command, though the backup seems to continue on after the error. This behavior is not exhibited if there is not a backup image already. No other VMs have this issue and this was never an issue before . Ive tried to chase this down in the forums but haven't found anything helpful yet. Any insight would be very appreciated.

Same boat here!! I have like 6 whm/cpanel that have latest kernel, latest everything and they still froze when PBS backup run the guest-agent 'fs-freeze' command also other windows machine froze. The workaround that is not good is to disable the qemu guest agent in the VM options but you will have inconsistent backups, but that is better than no backup!

please post
- output of pveversion -v
- the full backup task log
- the VM config
- syslog from inside the VM

but likely this is the following issue: https://forums.cpanel.net/threads/h...my-vm-using-snapshot-backup-of-cpanel.697761/
Thanks Fabian.

Yes, that's exactly what's happening, it was a 100% all the time failure, now after your recommendation, it starts/finish the backup no problem, but I did this in a machine that I have control, there is other vms that I don't have access to them (clients machine), this happens with all cpanels, (centos7 and cloudlinux). This is the true and final solution to this? Either disable SecureTMP or disable qemu-agent.

regards
Fran

I have resorted to just using cPanel's daily backup feature. It's unfortunate but it's the best move in my situation.

I also have this problem with Cloudlinux/Cpanel servers. My solution to this problem is to disable qemu-agent in the VM options tab in Proxmox.
That's not an option for me, as we use qemu-guest-agent to automatically provision passwords on VM rebuilds and installations. Interesting to know that disabling it is a fix. Maybe could point the devs in the right direction to fixing it.

That's not an option for me, as we use qemu-guest-agent to automatically provision passwords on VM rebuilds and installations. Interesting to know that disabling it is a fix. Maybe could point the devs in the right direction to fixing it.
I have no knowledge about all of this, but have you seen the other possible work-arounds here?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!