Proxmox VM backup vs. wbadmin vs. [...]

Discussion in 'Proxmox VE: Installation and configuration' started by Toxik, Jul 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Toxik

Toxik New Member

Hi,
    until now I've used wbadmin to backup Windows machines (no matter if VM or on real hardware).
    But now I've setup a Proxmox test machine and I've found the integrated VM backup feature which looks very interesting to me. Did a short test with a Linux guest, which worked flawlessly.

But I have some questions:
    • If used together with the qemu-guest-agent on Windows, does the VM backup make use of VSS before creating a backup?
    • How likeley is it to get a corrupted backup?
    • Do you prefer the VM backups over e.g. wbadmin or other backup tools? Why?
    Thanks!

2. LnxBil

LnxBil Well-Known Member

Yes, according to this https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Qemu-guest-agent

Very unlikely, but you still make a backup of a live system. On Windows, you have VSS in which programs can tap in, on Linux you can just run any script just before the backup is done, so flushing file system caches, doing database logswitches ... everything is possible.

Time-to-Recovery is the best for the integrated solution and the backups can be restored in any PVE environment without any setup. Just copy the vzdump file over and restore.

Toxik likes this.
  3. mbaldini

mbaldini Member

1. Yes
    2. I never got a corrupted vzdump backup
    3. I usually make both vzdump backups and Veeam Agent backup, I use Veeam to restore individual files and vzdump to restore full VM

Toxik likes this.
  4. Toxik

Toxik New Member

Yes, I've already seen that it is possible. Just was not sure if this applies to backups.

But is there at least any kind of snapshot of the VM taken before backup starts? Otherwise I cannot imagine how this should work.

That's actually the reason why I think the integrated backup feature is so interesting. Even if my Proxmox server hardware goes up in smoke... Just import the file in another preinstalled Proxmox server and at least the machines are reachable again.

I've thought about the following:
    • create a pool A for VM storage
    • create a pool B on some other disks for local backup storage
    • run backup from pool A to pool B for better backup performance.
    • after backup finishes run a tool like borgbackup to do a deduplicated backup to some other machine X. With deduplication it should be possible to store much more backups on machine X.

5. LnxBil

LnxBil Well-Known Member

Yes, the default Backup mode is snapshot. RAM contents and file contents are frozen and copied off in the Hypervisor while the VM runs and new data is written "somewhere else" to not interfere with the backup. After the backup is finished, the state of the VM is synchronized and everything goes their normal way.

Unfortunately, that's not going to work, because the vzdump is a) compressed and b) if uncompressed, the file is not 'deduplicable' (or deplucatable???) because blocks are not aligned in the file and it is not a "real" 1:1 block copy of the VMs data but PVE internal format VMA. The only option to get it to deduplicate everything is to unpack the VMA to a "real" 1:1 block copy of the VM and use tools for this. I did something similar with ZFS and the CoW nature of the filesystem to get a much smaller backup footprint while storing 1:1 block copies and be able to manually recreate vzdump files for disaster recovery while having the possibility to just restore files. I talked about it on the german ProxTalks conference in 2017. I cannot believe how often I've already talked about this in english an my slides are only in german (was a german conference) ... I really need to get down and translate them into english....

Toxik likes this.
  6. Toxik

Toxik New Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice