Proxmox VE with VLANs MikroTik CHR - no layer 3 connectivity

masteridori

Oct 6, 2024
Hello,

Currently, I have the setup from the top of the attached screenshot - MikroTik hEX which is connected to a computer running Windows via Cat5e cable.
The computer has Hyper-V enabled and there are 2 VLANs coming from the MikroTik - one for the PC management (Windows) and one for the VMs in Hyper-V.

Now, I want to migrate the setup to a box that is running Proxmox VE and that has 4 physical ethernet ports.
The setup that I did is from the bottom of the attached screenshot - MikroTik CHR is installed on the Proxmox VE host, a bridge is created on the first physical network interface (ETH0) and a network adapter that is attached to the bridge is added to the CHR VM.
VLAN aware is enabled on the bridge.

I've copied the RouterOS configuration from the hEX, modified it to match the ports that I configured in CHR (eg, eth1 became eth0) and imported it.
When I connect computer to the ETH0 port of the Proxmox VE box, the computer and the VMs on Hyper-V correctly receive an IP addresses (so DHCP works), but there is no layer 3 connectivity - no ping and no access to the CHR (the firewall rules allow access to the management ports for the CHR). The computer (Windows) also cannot find the MAC address of the destination IP (default gateway which is eth0 on the CHR), so there is issue with ARP as well.

I've tried restarting the PC and the Proxmox VE host, in case some cache needs to be cleared, but without success.

Is there some quirk in Proxmox VE that needs to be enabled/configured in order for the VLANs to work properly with CHR?
Previously, in Hyper-V I had to enable MAC address spoofing and in ESXi I had to configure the trunk port with VLAN4095, in order for the networking to work, but this is the first time I'm using Proxmox VE with CHR and I cannot find where is the problem - the guides for CHR and Proxmox that I've found are talking about connecting VMs on the host to the CHR that is also on the same host, which does not work for me.

Thank you.

Attachments

• example.drawio (1).png
    example.drawio (1).png
    33.7 KB · Views: 1

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!