Proxmox VE on Debian Jessie with zfs - Hetzner

What is the question?

I cannot see more details about how can I install it and use zfs mirror instead of LVM

In my local testbox (CD installation ) I just selected zfs raid 1 on the instalation screen

Now I can only install it on top of Debian, but Hetzner's Debian image comes with LVM

Thank you

If your dedicated server support booting from network ISO, you can use our ISO installer - a modern server board should support this.

If not, I suggest you contact Hetzner for help.

I can not install it from the iso
But I can Install it on top of Debian
But I nee the following information in order to complete the installation
In the manual you mention that I need to create swap root and data partitions
I guess that /boot must be created too
So I have created the following configuration

DRIVE1 /dev/sda (500GB)
DRIVE2 /dev/sdb (500GB)

SOFTWARE RAID:

SWRAID 1
SWRAIDLEVEL 1

PART /boot ext4 500M
PART lvm vg0 21G

LV vg0 root / ext4 15G
LV vg0 swap swap swap 6G

and I am trying to allocate the rest to a zfs raid 1 partition

My first question is that I do not know If the amount of space given to each partition is enough
and how can I get more information to create the zfs raid 1 partition for data

I hope I clarified my problem
Thank you

I'd suggest you install your system not on hetzner, but in your datacenter first on two (small) virtual disks, configure everything including hetzner IP and then copy over your two inhouse virtual harddisks to the actual ones on your hetzner server in recovery mode.

I did installs this way for many different cloud hardware providers and it always works. Afterwards you only need to expand your ZFS pool to the current size and you're good to go.

I'd suggest you install your system not on hetzner, but in your datacenter first on two (small) virtual disks, configure everything including hetzner IP and then copy over your two inhouse virtual harddisks to the actual ones on your hetzner server in recovery mode.

I did installs this way for many different cloud hardware providers and it always works. Afterwards you only need to expand your ZFS pool to the current size and you're good to go.

It seems a very good suggestion. Can you send me more information or give a link on how to migrate my local system to the remote one ?

Thank you

I see that there is a software raid enabled
Does it conflicts with ZFS Raid 1 ?

You overwrite everything on your disks, so there is nothing special to partitioning. It's a onliner (per disk) run in your recovery environment:

Code:
root@local-proxmox > dd status=none if=/dev/zvol/<zpool>/<proxmox-data>/vm-<vmid>-disk-1 bs=1M | pv -ptea --size=$(( $SIZE_IN_GB *1014*1024*1024 )) | ssh -C <hetzner-destination> dd of=/dev/sda bs=1M conv=fsync

Change disk-1 to disk-2 and also sda to sdb for the other disk. You need also pv which displays a nice progress bar. The ssh -C is also crucial for compressed stuff such that it can be transmitted more efficiently.

Afterwards you only need to reboot.

Just saw this.

What you do is Order a LARA at hetzner on the support page (read up on lara on hetzner wiki first - especially the part about telling them to mount a specific ISO on a USB-stick). It is basically a remote console, which streams video of your vga + usb + mouse to a web page.
That way you can install from ANY ISO you feel like, as if you were sitting on your local machine.

Reactions: Drag_and_Drop
Depending on the hardware some times is not possible to use iso.
Debian in Hetzner is an image ready to work out of the box

But if you have software raid then you can not use zfs.
They also have a proxmox image (not supported) but again you can not use zfs.
Either purchase hardware raid (no zfs again) or order a server with 2 disks but no OS installed.

Last edited:
Well, I had in another DC (in Germany but not Hetzner, though they're pretty good as well) a preconfigured SWRAID setup. I requested a rescue boot (they do it via PXE IIRC), deconfigured their swraid using LSI command line tools and installed Debian via debootstrap, booted and then created a zfs pool, upgraded, etc. It was possible then to install PVE on top of Debian, though I didn't need it at that time. Anyway, respectable companies always have a way to boot from an installer or rescue media, it's always best to consult them first. As others mentioned, if possible, request an IP console that provides full access, ISO mount for virtual CD drives, etc.

I agree but Hetzner has a standard reply if you try to ask anything else apart from reboot.
"This is not my job" you are running a root server

They do provide a rescue facility for you, though, including remote kvm + virtual media.

They do provide a rescue facility for you, though, including remote kvm + virtual media.

You are correct my mistake.
They do have Lara where you can connect your ISO or they connect you a USB with this ISO
You may also try the "resque" screen where there is also a ProxMox image (Unsuported) but it has by default Software Raid Enabled and there starts all the problems.
I used this by mistake and all the problems started.
I consumed many hours before I managed to delete SW Raid and clear it, before I was able to Install ProxMox with ZFS.

You have to be careful and order a clean server with no OS installed. Otherwise the server will come with SW Raid installed.

I agree but Hetzner has a standard reply if you try to ask anything else apart from reboot.
"This is not my job" you are running a root server
I've done 6 Proxmox ZFS setups with Lara for separate customers on the side in March 2017 via hetzner. You go into your robot. You go to support, at the bottom it lists the "LARA" (ip console) option. I typically choose "plug in when ever" + 2 hours needed. Enough time to setup proxmox twice with openvswitch and have 30 minutes of buffer left.

Remember tho, they provide unmanaged Servers (unless you bought a managed one). It is your responsibility to read their manual / documentation and use the proper tool (they provide free of charge) for the job. If that is unacceptable, then there are plenty of managed server providers out there (which will do custom installs to your liking)

Same problem here. A LARA is the best solution, its free for 3 hours (additional 3 hours cost only 10€) you just need to provide them an FTP or HTTP link to the Proxmox .iso and they will burn it to a CD / USB drive.
If they want to charge you (they told me it will cost 59€) show them this page:
https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Preisliste_Zusatzprodukte/en

Good to know. Never had em try to charge me (even after ordering it for 3 hours, and then ordering for another 3 hours about 1 hour later because the customer on their first login ruined their install to the point where it would not even post anymore)

Boot into recovery mode, install qemu/kvm and then install PVE inside a VM you just run with something similar than this (typing this from memory, not tested for syntax errors):

Code:
qemu (or kvm) -m 1024 -hda /dev/sda -hdb /dev/sdb -cdrom /path/to/proxmox.iso -boot c

Just read the manual and try. This can also be run on any default linux box with installed qemu/kvm, so you "can try at home".

Reactions: ivensiya

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!