Proxmox VE not registering eth0 port

tommy-b-10

Sep 2, 2012
Hey guys. I am new to the whole debian/proxmox scene and I need some help. So I bought a MSI H61M-P21 board with a i3 chip and 8gb of ram. Now I installed proxmox just fine, no errors or anything during install, but then when I boot the system I get eth0 port failed errors and the server doesn't connect to my lan network. The board uses a Atheros AR8152 lan chipset. All help is greatly appreciated. Thankyou!

When I do ifconfig there are only lo, venet0 and vmbr0.

When doing lspci, the only network information i am getting is:

Code:
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8152 v2.0 Fast Ethernet (rev c1)

NIC is not supported by proxmox kernel. You can get the driver here:
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/networking/alx

Thankyou! This is what I have been looking for. Seeing as i am new to linux completely, would you be able to help me install the driver? I don't have an internet connection to the machine as it needs that ethernet port for it. I am able to use a cd/usb for the install (usb preferred) but im not sure how to do that. Would you or someone be able to provide the necessary steps? Thanks!

The page I linked has installation instructions. They are better than what I could come up with :)

Maybe proxmox devs could include this in the kernel? Those AR81xx chips seem to be pretty common nowadays.

The page I linked has installation instructions. They are better than what I could come up with :)

Maybe proxmox devs could include this in the kernel? Those AR81xx chips seem to be pretty common nowadays.

I agree! :D I followed the install instructions, but i am getting stuck at doing the make command. I just get back 'make: command not found'
This is annyoing as I cannot do 'apt-get install make' as I need internet for that -__-

I agree! :D I followed the install instructions, but i am getting stuck at doing the make command. I just get back 'make: command not found'
This is annyoing as I cannot do 'apt-get install make' as I need internet for that -__-
Hi,
the easy way ist to install a supported NIC (perhaps only for installation of the driver/binutils... - or take a "better" one to use these for the server too). If your onboard-nic is functional - edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to use the onboard as eth0 or change your interface-file.

Udo

Hi,
the easy way ist to install a supported NIC (perhaps only for installation of the driver/binutils... - or take a "better" one to use these for the server too). If your onboard-nic is functional - edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to use the onboard as eth0 or change your interface-file.

Udo

so I can use the NIC without the proper drivers? Cheers!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!