[SOLVED] Proxmox VE - Login failed. Please try again.

Could you provide your user.cfg? (cat /etc/pve/user.cfg)
Code:
user@undrafted:~$ sudo cat /etc/pve/user.cfg
[sudo] password for user:
user:root@pam:1:0::::::
user:user@pve:1:0::::::

group:admin:user@pve:System Administrators:

acl:1:/:@admin:Administrator:
user@undrafted:~$

Could you set a simple password for root@pam via `passwd`, like `12345`?
And then test the login in the GUI.

Could you set a simple password for root@pam via `passwd`, like `12345`?
And then test the login in the GUI.
Actually, I just found out I forgot to update grub so I wasn't using the proper Proxmox kernel. That might be the problem. I'll update when I have time to tinker with it.

Hi,
fairly new user of Proxmox here, but already love it!

I'm having the same issue, but i'm not exactly sure since when, because the cluster is fairly new.
First node is down at the moment (creator of the cluster) and on node 2 i can't log in anymore.
It definitely worked in the beginning.

/var/log/auth.log only has entries if the password is wrong:
Dec 8 21:09:26 dl380 IPCC.xs[2015]: pam_unix(proxmox-ve-auth:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty= ruser= rhost= user=root

root@pam also doesn't work, but doesn't create an auth.log entry either.

There were no authentication methods added, so just PAM and PVE-Authentication-Server, but neither of them work.

All Proxmox packages are the latest non-subscription version and the server was installed from the latest Proxmox ISO.

cat /etc/pve/user.cfg
user:root@pam:1:0:::it@mail:::

If additional files or info is required, i'd be glad to provide it.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: shahz
Just figured out my problem.

The node that was shut down, caused the Cluster to drop below the quorum limit.
Such that the node entered a read-only mode and no VMs or CTs were started and the Web GUI was inaccessible.
pvecm expected 1 fixed that and the GUI became accessible again.

Question: Is that an expected reaction on losing a cluster node?
If yes, i don't really understand why and how high availability can be achieved if the remaining cluster node is made useless by losing another node?

Edit: Also the VMs and CTs couldn't be started via CLI. That's how i stumbled upon the loss of quorum.

Last edited:
The ability to login should not be in any way impacted by loss of quorum.

The ability to login should not be in any way impacted by loss of quorum.
I can confirm, login failed to webgui on the remaining node. have a cluster of 2 nodes.
I can not say since when the problem persist, I just discovered it like 10 minutes ago. Usually I stay logged in when one node reboots.

proxmox-ve: 7.1-1 (running kernel: 5.13.19-2-pve) pve-manager: 7.1-8 (running version: 7.1-8/5b267f33) pve-kernel-helper: 7.1-6 pve-kernel-5.13: 7.1-5 pve-kernel-5.11: 7.0-10 pve-kernel-5.13.19-2-pve: 5.13.19-4 pve-kernel-5.13.19-1-pve: 5.13.19-3 pve-kernel-5.11.22-7-pve: 5.11.22-12 pve-kernel-5.11.22-5-pve: 5.11.22-10 pve-kernel-5.11.22-4-pve: 5.11.22-9 ceph-fuse: 15.2.14-pve1 corosync: 3.1.5-pve2 criu: 3.15-1+pve-1 glusterfs-client: 9.2-1 ifupdown2: 3.1.0-1+pmx3 ksm-control-daemon: 1.4-1 libjs-extjs: 7.0.0-1 libknet1: 1.22-pve2 libproxmox-acme-perl: 1.4.0 libproxmox-backup-qemu0: 1.2.0-1 libpve-access-control: 7.1-5 libpve-apiclient-perl: 3.2-1 libpve-common-perl: 7.0-14 libpve-guest-common-perl: 4.0-3 libpve-http-server-perl: 4.0-4 libpve-storage-perl: 7.0-15 libspice-server1: 0.14.3-2.1 lvm2: 2.03.11-2.1 lxc-pve: 4.0.11-1 lxcfs: 4.0.11-pve1 novnc-pve: 1.2.0-3 proxmox-backup-client: 2.1.2-1 proxmox-backup-file-restore: 2.1.2-1 proxmox-mini-journalreader: 1.3-1 proxmox-widget-toolkit: 3.4-4 pve-cluster: 7.1-2 pve-container: 4.1-3 pve-docs: 7.1-2 pve-edk2-firmware: 3.20210831-2 pve-firewall: 4.2-5 pve-firmware: 3.3-3 pve-ha-manager: 3.3-1 pve-i18n: 2.6-2 pve-qemu-kvm: 6.1.0-3 pve-xtermjs: 4.12.0-1 qemu-server: 7.1-4 smartmontools: 7.2-1 spiceterm: 3.2-2 swtpm: 0.7.0~rc1+2 vncterm: 1.7-1 zfsutils-linux: 2.1.1-pve3

Last edited:
FYI, I've just had the exact same issue today. It turns out that after having shutdown a node from my cluster (for a reinstall) I couldn't login anymore on the Web GUI. The fix for me was to destroy the cluster config for the still online node like this:

Code:
systemctl stop pve-cluster corosync
pmxcfs -l
rm /etc/corosync/*
rm /etc/pve/corosync.conf
killall pmxcfs
systemctl start pve-cluster

Then I could login again and recreate the cluster etc..

Found this in the pve-manager status through ssh:
Code:
Dec 15 10:50:23 SSience pvesh[1330]: waiting for quorum ...

Last edited:
FYI, I've just had the exact same issue today. It turns out that after having shutdown a node from my cluster (for a reinstall) I couldn't login anymore on the Web GUI. The fix for me was to destroy the cluster config for the still online node like this:

Code:
systemctl stop pve-cluster corosync
pmxcfs -l
rm /etc/corosync/*
rm /etc/pve/corosync.conf
killall pmxcfs
systemctl start pve-cluster

Then I could login again and recreate the cluster etc..

Found this in the pve-manager status through ssh:
Code:
Dec 15 10:50:23 SSience pvesh[1330]: waiting for quorum ...
Had the exact same problem, and this fixed it. Thanks!

Almost the same as the other above.
I have two nodes, if one of them is turned off it is not possible to login via web-gui
Version 7.1 (8)

Do you have TFA enabled? In this case it won't work, because TFA tries to write something to /etc/pve which is read only when the node is not in the quorate partition.

How long has it been since the node was last quorate? If it is longer than 24h, it could be because auth-key rotation couldn't be done/written to /etc/pve. If possible, keep the downtime of the majority of the nodes low.

My proxmox is working now, since I have turned on the temp-node again.
Here is my output:
root@proxmox1:~# pvecm status
Cluster information
-------------------
Name: Cluster1
Config Version: 2
Transport: knet
Secure auth: on

Quorum information
------------------
Date: Wed Dec 29 13:39:25 2021
Quorum provider: corosync_votequorum
Nodes: 2
Node ID: 0x00000001
Ring ID: 1.f5
Quorate: Yes

Votequorum information
----------------------
Expected votes: 2
Highest expected: 2
Total votes: 2
Quorum: 2
Flags: Quorate

Membership information
----------------------
Nodeid Votes Name
0x00000001 1 10.0.0.150 (local)
0x00000002 1 10.0.3.75

I'm a new user, but surely this behaviour is unacceptable. I encountered this problem just now, have not been able to login for the last couple of hours. One of my nodes was down and I couldn't login to check or do anything. Annoying me for what seems like no good reason.

How long has it been since the node was last quorate? If it is longer than 24h, it could be because auth-key rotation couldn't be done/written to /etc/pve. If possible, keep the downtime of the majority of the nodes low.
In my case a few minutes, about 10 I would say. Also no TFA is active.

I'm experiencing the same problem that Ssh logging was fine but Web GUI failed. I have 2 nodes in the cluster.

Chiming in here to say that I experienced this issue today with a fresh install of Proxmox (7.1-10). As above, SSH login worked fine but I could not log into the web gui. This error was in the syslog:

Feb 14 18:17:08 pve-int1 pvedaemon[5503]: authentication failure; rhost=::ffff:192.168.150.3 user=root@pam msg=cfs-lock 'file-priv_tfa_cfg' error: no quorum!

We are a small company with just two servers, one main and one backup. I took down the backup server for hardware maintenance and this triggered the issue. I guess our main server was missing its partner on Valentine's Day.

The solution was to log in via SSH and run the command

pvecm expected 1

After that I was able to log in via the web interface. My understanding is that this command reduces the required quorum votes to 1.

One more soul with this issue. Although luckily pvecm expected 1 did the trick, the whole situation doesn't give me much of a warm and fuzzy feeling. Here are some aspects of the setup and the series of unfortunate events events, which led to my case:
  • We have a cluster of 3 nodes
  • All nodes are up to date on latest rev of ProxMox
  • We experienced a power outage, and shortly the UPS respnsible for two of the nodes had a catastrophic power failure (magic blue smoke and everything), leaving us with one working node
  • At that stage I could SSH into the remaining node, but as others mentioned, I was unable to log into the GUI
  • The pvedaemon output for these GUI login attempts was as follows:

pm pvedaemon[1955]: [B]authentication failure; rhost=::ffff:x.x.x.x user=root@pam msg=cfs-lock 'file-priv_tfa_cfg' error no quorum![/B] pm IPCC.xs[1954]: [B]pam_unix(proxmox-ve-auth:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty= ruser= rhost= user[/B]=root

Reactions: aboy

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!