Proxmox VE Licensing & Features

MikeyTT

Apr 17, 2021
Maybe I'm going blind, but I can't find anywhere that lists the features that are disabled/limited on the versions that don't have a support key. I'm new to Proxmox and I don't want to invest a lot of time in learning the product to find I need a support license to do what I need.

Unfortunately the community edition would set me back about £1k/yr so that's not an option for me.

Thanks...

Maybe I'm going blind, but I can't find anywhere that lists the features that are disabled/limited on the versions that don't have a support key. I'm new to Proxmox and I don't want to invest a lot of time in learning the product to find I need a support license to do what I need.

Unfortunately the community edition would set me back about £1k/yr so that's not an option for me.

Thanks...
None of the features are disabled or limited, there are two major differences, support and the enterprise repository.

Support should be self explainitory, should you have an issue without at least a "basic" subscription your only avenue for help is community settings such as this forum.

The Enterprise repository is the most throroughly tested and stable package repo for Proxmox (of course this also means it's the last to get new features etc!). The pve-no-subscription repo that you can configure if you do not have at least a "community" subscription sits somewhere between the pve-test testing repo and the "stable" enterprise repo. This is fine for most casual or experienced users but not recommended for crucial production workloads.

Take a look at https://www.proxmox.com/en/downloads/item/proxmox-ve-subscription-agreement for some FAQ's etc.

TL;DR;
Free - "early release" repo and community support
Community - "stable" repo and community support
Basic+ - "stable" repo and support level as purchased

Reactions: tom
Thank you both for the quick responses. I'd read the "Complete feature-set" entry and assumed that the non-licensed/supported version was therefore limited in some way.

Great news indeed...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!