Hello all. I ran a kernel upgrade today from within the GUI and it all seemed to go through fine but after rebooting the GUI no longer loads. The server is running and my containers are running but when I run 'systemctl status pveproxy.service' I get the following error;
× pveproxy.service - PVE API Proxy Server
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/pveproxy.service; enabled; preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2026-10-01 16:00:41 BST; 8min ago
Invocation: 34ee16c7b8fe4ff985eade06aa498e62
Process: 10116 ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/pvecm updatecerts --silent (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 10119 ExecStart=/usr/bin/pveproxy start (code=exited, status=255/EXCEPTION)
Oct 01 16:00:41 pve systemd[1]: pveproxy.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Oct 01 16:00:41 pve systemd[1]: pveproxy.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Oct 01 16:00:41 pve systemd[1]: pveproxy.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Oct 01 16:00:41 pve systemd[1]: Failed to start pveproxy.service - PVE API Proxy Server.
I've tried a bunch of things from previous forum posts to try and fix this but nothing seems to work. I've tried to downgrade the release from apt cache but no go. Any ideas I can try to get the GUI back or am I looking at a reinstall and then recovering my containers from a snapshot?
Thanks.
× pveproxy.service - PVE API Proxy Server
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/pveproxy.service; enabled; preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2026-10-01 16:00:41 BST; 8min ago
Invocation: 34ee16c7b8fe4ff985eade06aa498e62
Process: 10116 ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/pvecm updatecerts --silent (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 10119 ExecStart=/usr/bin/pveproxy start (code=exited, status=255/EXCEPTION)
Oct 01 16:00:41 pve systemd[1]: pveproxy.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Oct 01 16:00:41 pve systemd[1]: pveproxy.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Oct 01 16:00:41 pve systemd[1]: pveproxy.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Oct 01 16:00:41 pve systemd[1]: Failed to start pveproxy.service - PVE API Proxy Server.
I've tried a bunch of things from previous forum posts to try and fix this but nothing seems to work. I've tried to downgrade the release from apt cache but no go. Any ideas I can try to get the GUI back or am I looking at a reinstall and then recovering my containers from a snapshot?
Thanks.