Proxmox VE cluster with block storage.

Aleksein

Jul 31, 2018
Hello all.

We are going to create a new public cloud and I thought that Proxmox VE Cluster can be a good solution. But I have some things that I can't understand.

My biggest concern is storage, we are going to buy the Nimble storage. Nimble is a block storage.
My question is how to connect all 4 servers to the storage, I mean the servers will be connected by iSCSI.
In the documentation, I see that if I want HA, Live Migration, snapshots, thin provisioning, and backup I should use shared storage. If I understand correctly, the "ZFS over iSCSI" can provide us the solution.

Did someone test the Nimble storage and Proxmox VE cluster?

Thank you,
Aleksei.

If I understand correctly, the "ZFS over iSCSI" can provide us the solution.

HP will most probably not use ZFS and Linux for their SAN, so this is unfortunately no option for you.

As with every other shared block storage, you're going to have HA and live migration (no idea why backup is in your original list, this is not written to a block storage, this is file based) due to limitations in clustered LVM.

Reactions: Aleksein

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!