Proxmox VE cluster mount nfs share with different ip's

thomasloldk

Nov 30, 2015
Denmark
Hey Guys

I have setup a Proxmox VE cluster with 2 servers.
I had 1 proxmox server VE server running with vm's before and everything has run smooth.
So decied i wanted a server more and figured it could really smart to put them in a cluster.

Now the servers are both connected to NAS box direct with 1000 megabit cables in different network ports' where i run virtual harddrives from the same share.
So Sever1 is connected with 192.168.15.2 - NAS: 192.168.15.1
And Server2 is connected with 192.168.15.4 - NAS 192.168.15.3

Now the way proxmox storage is configured is with common configuration it shares with both servers.
And since it connected with two dirrefent ports with two different ip's Server2 is not able connect to the adress 192.168.15.1 but only to 192.168.15.3

And since its not possible to setup 2 x storage with same id with different ip's its not possible to migrate server's between. Only if i migrate it and edit the 1XX.conf file manully and change the storage id. And this is not why we have started to use proxmox ...

Sorry for bad English i hope the problem is understandble.
I have not been able to find anything on google and the forum so i hope you guys could help me.
Plezz tell if i need to provide more information !

edit: Not sure if its the right topic. Plez move it !

IMHO NFS cannot operate in multipath mode, so there is no solution to this very problem. It is also a bad idea to have multiple NICs in the same subnet, because you can often not set where your packets leave your system.

Normally one would bond the network interface on your server and on the NAS with e.g. LACP for for HA and bandwidth aggregation. Then you'll have one IP for your server and one for your client but both interfaces on each side will be used. This requires a LACP-capable switch.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!