[SOLVED] PROXMOX VE 8.1: won't boot after updating / upgrading repositories.

ReD1991

Apr 9, 2024
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to Proxmox started in January learning about how to use it on older hardware. Decided to buy new components to build a decent server.
Today after one month of use it decided to stop booting. I did apt-get install update and apt-get install upgrade and after a reboot I get the following grub screen:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

GNU GRUB version 2.06-13+pmx1

Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file competions.
grub>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some information about the "server"

- Proxmox installed on a 1TB SSD
- 9 VMs installed on said SSD
- All backups of VMs available on 4 TB HDD (except for a backup of proxmox of course).

What I tried so far:

- Check bios and see if NVME and HDD are visable, they are.
- Tried to run Proxmox installer from USB drive >> advanced options >> Rescue Boot

This gives me :
error: failure reading sector 0x7326af80 from `hd2'.
error: failure reading sector 0xd201000 from `hd2'.
error: failure reading sector 0xd200ff0 from `hd2'.
error: failure reading sector 0xd200f80 from `hd2'.
error: prohibited by secure boot policy.
error: no such device: rpool
error: unable to find boot disk automatically

I don't know what to do to save my setup, please help.

Kind regards,
ReD1991

Last edited:
is there any error before the grub prompt? are you sure you are booting from the right disk?

is there any error before the grub prompt? are you sure you are booting from the right disk?
Hi Fabian, no errors during startup it briefly shows the "welcome to grub" and then goes to the screen with:

GNU GRUB version 2.06-13+pmx1

Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file competions.
grub>

I think I did something wrong and accidentaly made a double post as @Dunuin helped me here:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/p...-get-update-upgrade.144822/page-2#post-652229

Reactions: fabian

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!