[SOLVED] Proxmox VE 8.1: booting into GNU GRUB after apt-get update & upgrade

@Dunuin

I could use your help after the reinstallation to mount the VMs from backup, which I have stored on the 4TB HDD. I'm lucky I made backups yesterday of all the VMs. Now I hope I can rebuild them from the backups.

Would installing Proxmox on 2 HDDs in raid 1 be a better more safe solution than SSDs?
Raid1 is always safer, no matter if HDD or SSD. And should always be used for everything you care about. Including your NVMe SSDs for VM storage if you care about VM data-loss (even with backups you lose the data since your last backup) or not being able to access those VMs.
@Dunuin

I could use your help after the reinstallation to mount the VMs from backup, which I have stored on the 4TB HDD. I'm lucky I made backups yesterday of all the VMs. Now I hope I can rebuild them from the backups.
You will have to import/active/mount that disk via CLI and then add it as a storage in thre webUI at Datacenter -> Storage -> Add.
How to do that depends on how you formated your disk (ZFS, ext4, whatever).

Raid1 is always safer, no matter if HDD or SSD. And should always be used for everything you care about. Including your NVMe SSDs for VM storage if you care about VM data-loss (even with backups you lose the data since your last backup) or not being able to access those VMs.

You will have to import/active/mount that disk via CLI and then add it as a storage in thre webUI at Datacenter -> Storage -> Add.
How to do that depends on how you formated your disk (ZFS, ext4, whatever).
OK will think about how to continue and which drives to use.

I formated the HDD as ext4. I mounted it the same way as you suggest here the first time I installed it in the server.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!