[SOLVED] Proxmox VE 8.1: booting into GNU GRUB after apt-get update & upgrade

ReD1991

Apr 9, 2024
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to Proxmox started in January learning about how to use it on older hardware. Decided to buy new components to build a decent server.
Today after one month of use it decided to stop booting. I did apt-get install update and apt-get install upgrade and after a reboot I get the following grub screen:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

GNU GRUB version 2.06-13+pmx1

Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file competions.
grub>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some information about the "server"

- Proxmox installed on a 1TB SSD
- 9 VMs installed on said SSD
- All backups of VMs available on 4 TB HDD (except for a backup of proxmox of course).

What I tried so far:

- Check bios and see if NVME and HDD are visable, they are.
- Tried to run Proxmox installer from USB drive >> advanced options >> Rescue Boot

This gives me :
Error: failure reaing sector 0xd7326af80 from `hd2'.
Error: failure reaing sector 0xd201000 from `hd2'.
Error: failure reaing sector 0xd200ff0 from `hd2'.
Error: failure reaing sector 0xd200f80 from `hd2'.
Error: prohibited by secure boot policy.
Error: no such device: rpool
Error: unable to find boot disk automatically

I don't know what to do to save my setup, please help.

Kind regards,
ReD1991

From the "Proxmox installer from USB drive >> advanced options >> Rescue Boot" you could try to import the zfs pool in case the disk isn'T damaged. If that works you could chroot into your rpool/ROOT/pve-1 and try to fix the bootloader/initramds and/or packages in case that apt upgrade screwed something up.
PVE used the proxmox-boot-tool for managing bootloaders.

From the "Proxmox installer from USB drive >> advanced options >> Rescue Boot" you could try to import the zfs pool in case the disk isn'T damaged. If that works you could chroot into your rpool/ROOT/pve-1 and try to fix the bootloader/initramds and/or packages in case that apt upgrade screwed something up.
PVE used the proxmox-boot-tool for managing bootloaders.
I only get the option to "press any key" and it goes back to the proxmox installer GUI.

I only get the option to "press any key" and it goes back to the proxmox installer GUI.
In PVE installer, select “Advanced Option”, then “Install Proxmox VE (Debug Mode)”. You now have to wait some seconds until no new text shows up and then type in “exit”

In PVE installer, select “Advanced Option”, then “Install Proxmox VE (Debug Mode)”. You now have to wait some seconds until no new text shows up and then type in “exit”
OK, this worked i'm now at a terminal screen with root@proxmox:/#

Then next steps would be to try to import the rpool with zpool import rpool. As well as old the disk checks like fdisk -l and starting SMART self-tests and checking SMART values using smartctl. proxmox-boot-tool status might also be a good idea: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Host_Bootloader
zpool import rpool gives:
spl: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
zfs: module licence 'CDDL'taints kernel.
Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint.
zfs: module licence taints kernel.
ZFS: Loaded module v2.2.0-pve3, ZFS pool version 5000, ZFS filesystem version 5
nvme_log_error: 24 callbacks suppressed
nvme0n1: I/0 Cmd(0x2) @ LBA 220204928, 8 blocks, I/0 Error (sct 0x2 / sc 0x81) MORE
critical medium error, dev nvme0n1, sector 220204928 op (READ) flags 0x80700 phys_seg 1 prio class 2
nvme0n1: I/0 Cmd(0x2) @ LBA 220204928, 8 blocks, I/0 Error (sct 0x2 / sc 0x81) MORE
critical medium error, dev nvme0n1, sector 220204928 op (READ) flags 0x0 phys_seg 1 prio class 2
Buffer_io_error: 7 callback suppressed
Buffer I/0 error on dev dm-1 , logical bock 25165808, async page read
cannot import 'rpool': no such pool available

Sounds like your NVMe SSD is failing. I would use the nvme-cli tools to check that SSD. Something like nvme smart-log /dev/nvme0n1. And a short selftest:
nvme device-self-test /dev/nvme0 -n 1 -s 1
nvme self-test-log /dev/nvme0n1

Last edited:
Sounds like your NVMe SSD is failing. I would use the nvme-cli tools to check that SSD. Something like nvme smart-log /dev/nvme0n1
I tried nvme smart-log /dev/nvm0n1 and it gives me bash: nvme: command not found.
Do I need to install something and can I just install something from this terminal or will this screw up my nvme even further.

Sounds like your NVMe SSD is failing. I would use the nvme-cli tools to check that SSD. Something like nvme smart-log /dev/nvme0n1. And a short selftest:
nvme device-self-test /dev/nvme0 -n 1 -s 1
nvme self-test-log /dev/nvme0n1
Let's say the NVMe is failing, is there any other way to boot up the system so that I can make a quick backup of some settings/ VMs?

If I were to install Proxmox on a new NVMe, which I will buy tomorrow. Will I be able to mount VMs from backups which are on the 4TB HDD?

If I were to install Proxmox on a new NVMe, which I will buy tomorrow. Will I be able to mount VMs from backups which are on the 4TB HDD?
Yes. And better buy a proper SSD. ZFS shouldn't be used with consumer/prosumer SSDs. So something like a Samsung PM983 with power-loss protection. And better to buy disks in pairs and run them in a mirror. That way eveything will continue working as nothing would have happend in case a disk fails.

Do I need to install something and can I just install something from this terminal or will this screw up my nvme even further.
You will probably first need to setup networking to be able to install the nvme-cli tools via apt update && apt install nvme-cli.
Let's say the NVMe is failing, is there any other way to boot up the system so that I can make a quick backup of some settings/ VMs?
No, without being able to import that rpool (and it fails because of disk errors) you won't be able to access configs or VMs on it.
When running proxmox-boot-tool status I get the following:
E: /etc/kernel/proxmox-boot-uuids does not exist.
Then you probably need to chrot first which won't work without importing rpool.

Yes. And better buy a proper SSD. ZFS shouldn't be used with consumer/prosumer SSDs. So something like a Samsung PM983 with power-loss protection. And better to buy disks in pairs and run them in a mirror. That way eveything will continue working as nothing would have happend in case a disk fails.
Would installing Proxmox on 2 HDDs in raid 1 be a better more safe solution than SSDs?
Which means I will be installing the VMs on a single or possibly mirrored NMVE SSD(s)

I will have to forfait this installation unfortunately, thank you for your help.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!