Proxmox VE 8.0 released!

The checksums file on the enterprise download http page has no hashes for ISOs beyond 8-beta. Please update.

proxmox does not support installation via serial console. you can perhaps install on a different system, activate serial console there and move the disk to the system with serial console. what system do you have which only offers serial console ? that's mostly embedded stuff, afaik.

where ist the Changelog file for install iso because need Serial Console install Iso
We have a prototype here for a pure serial console install, but it was to late in the dev cycle for Proxmox VE 8.0 and the TUI installer is already helpful for many without that, but we will ship supporting plain serial consoles with a future release.

Reactions: gseeley
Of course I followed it as I could not invent my own procedure. Went down to systemctl reboot and then got stuck.

Yes, I had to upgrade gradually due to my ZFS configuration (about 100 disks), and my encrypted root. Didn't really want to remake all this, especially knowing that it can work according to the previous kernel upgrade.

I can try ISO, yes.
Ok, secure boot was disabled, and the ISO boots with the Proxmox logo, but gets stuck at the same position saying "Loading initial ramdisk..."

Seems it can't work in either configuration.

Ok, secure boot was disabled, and the ISO boots with the Proxmox logo, but gets stuck at the same position saying "Loading initial ramdisk..."

Seems it can't work in either configuration.
Can you also try the "Console Mode nomodeset" option from the advanced GRUB menu of the ISO?

Can you also try the "Console Mode nomodeset" option from the advanced GRUB menu of the ISO?
Ok, could get passed the ramdisk ambush!

Question: at some point it reaches the menu to select the target harddisk. I have various types, which one is adequate for Proxmox VE Installer? I typically put OS on the least impressive small SSD. Does the same tactic apply or should I, oppositely, choose a bulletproof Optane? I just don't know what tasks it's going to perform on this disk.

Also, how much space does it need on this disk? It picked one Optane with 100GB left.

I'm seeing this article, but it still leaves me with the questions above, partly because I don't yet know the Proxmox structure.
https://proxmox.com/en/proxmox-ve/requirements

Last edited:
Ok, could get passed the ramdisk ambush!
Good to hear!
Question: at some point it reaches the menu to select the target harddisk. I have various types, which one is adequate for Proxmox VE Installer? I typically put OS on the least impressive small SSD. Does the same tactic apply or should I, oppositely, choose a bulletproof Optane? I just don't know what tasks it's going to perform on this disk.
Proxmox VE's metrics system will do some small but relatively frequent writes, so using something that doesn't wear out quickly makes sense. In general, we recommend small enterprise SSD with power loss protection, that ensures all data including the one in the SSD caches, is written to persistent storage on power loss. As while most file systems are nowadays quite good at ensuring reliability without that, it just makes sense to have protection here at the storage level too.

Size wise you can get away even with 10 GB if you keep that this for Proxmox VE only, but I'd really not recommend that, as future upgrades can then get painful and one might need to watch out for log size increases and other things, rather at least 64 GB, and ideally more (e.g., there's a bunch of 480 GB enterprise SSD models which are often a nice fit and cost ~40 - 45 € excl. VAT, so relatively affordable). Having 100 GB on an Optane sounds good enough to me for both, durability and basic capacity needs.

To give a bit more details on the hardware :

1) x90 HDD in RAIDZ2 (8+2), ZFS storage
2) x2 Optanes 200GB each (heavy duty, ZFS write cache)
3) x2 Optanes 1.6TB each (database booster)
4) x2 Intel 960GB each SSD S4510 (OS booting), low DWPD, 2~3 off my memory
5) x2 Intel SSD 1.6TB each (ZFS read cache)

With this I have 4 options for installing Proxmox, excluding the HDD path only. By knowing the Proxmox 8 installation size on disk I could rule out one or two more options.

Last edited:
Great work proxmox team.
I have a small doubt. In the prerequisites you say "Co-installed Proxmox Backup Server should wait until a public beta or final version will be released". Does that mean that if a have a PBS as a VM on my proxmox host i must not update yet and wait for a PBS beta at least?
Hi, If I have the Proxmox Backup Server installed and upgrade to PVE 8 - will it break or simply not recommended/tested enough?

Hi, If I have the Proxmox Backup Server installed and upgrade to PVE 8 - will it break or simply not recommended/tested enough?
Likely break, as the packages are not available and there will be clashes on upgrade due to that.

We rather recommend waiting another week or so, we're actively working on the Proxmox Backup Server 3.0 release.

Good to hear!

Proxmox VE's metrics system will do some small but relatively frequent writes, so using something that doesn't wear out quickly makes sense. In general, we recommend small enterprise SSD with power loss protection, that ensures all data including the one in the SSD caches, is written to persistent storage on power loss. As while most file systems are nowadays quite good at ensuring reliability without that, it just makes sense to have protection here at the storage level too.

Size wise you can get away even with 10 GB if you keep that this for Proxmox VE only, but I'd really not recommend that, as future upgrades can then get painful and one might need to watch out for log size increases and other things, rather at least 64 GB, and ideally more (e.g., there's a bunch of 480 GB enterprise SSD models which are often a nice fit and cost ~40 - 45 € excl. VAT, so relatively affordable). Having 100 GB on an Optane sounds good enough to me for both, durability and basic capacity needs.
Ok, looks like I could use my OS SSDs. But how does the installer act: does it need a separate disk that it would first format or will it install onto a disk with an existing bootable system without damaging it and simply by listing it in the GRUB menu?

Sorry that I ask basic questions, but trying is a lot more devastating.

Ok, looks like I could use my OS SSDs. But how does the installer act: does it need a separate disk that it would first format or will it install onto a disk with an existing bootable system without damaging it and simply by listing it in the GRUB menu?
In the installer you select the disk you want to install Proxmox VE on, it will format that fully, currently you cannot select just a partition. For ZFS and BTRFS you can also select more than one disk, all of those selected will be formatted in full and used for Proxmox VE.

Sorry that I ask basic questions, but trying is a lot more devastating.
That's OK, but I think it'd be better done in a separate thread to avoid crowding the general release thread with the now rather off-topic discussion.

In the installer you select the disk you want to install Proxmox VE on, it will format that fully, currently you cannot select just a partition. For ZFS and BTRFS you can also select more than one disk, all of those selected will be formatted in full and used for Proxmox VE.

That's OK, but I think it'd be better done in a separate thread to avoid crowding the general release thread with the now rather off-topic discussion.
Yes, thank you. I think since I have reached the Install button stage, I have no more questions to ask. I just need to restart a few times now to figure out which disks aren't preoccupied by an OS booster or RAIDZ2 configuration, and start a real installation.

Code:
W: (pve-apt-hook) !! WARNING !!
W: (pve-apt-hook) You are attempting to remove the meta-package 'proxmox-ve'!
W: (pve-apt-hook)
W: (pve-apt-hook) If you really want to permanently remove 'proxmox-ve' from your system, run the following command
W: (pve-apt-hook)       touch '/please-remove-proxmox-ve'

PVE now no longer exists on one of my nodes. :p
  • Followed the guide, system was originally installed off a 7.2 iso.
  • No modifications to the system itself, other than installs and configs for telegraf, nut & rsyslog's output.
  • Ceph was on Quincy.
  • No extra kernels were installed as were listed in the install notes.

Looks like its gonna be a fun day diagnosing and probably re-installing everything from scratch.
"yay".

As a quick diagnostic step - running apt install 'proxmox-ve' yields this error -
Code:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 python3-cephfs : Depends: python3 (< 3.10) but 3.11.2-1+b1 is to be installed
 python3-rados : Depends: python3 (< 3.10) but 3.11.2-1+b1 is to be installed
 python3-rbd : Depends: python3 (< 3.10) but 3.11.2-1+b1 is to be installed
 python3-rgw : Depends: python3 (< 3.10) but 3.11.2-1+b1 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Last edited:
Code:
W: (pve-apt-hook) !! WARNING !!
W: (pve-apt-hook) You are attempting to remove the meta-package 'proxmox-ve'!
W: (pve-apt-hook)
W: (pve-apt-hook) If you really want to permanently remove 'proxmox-ve' from your system, run the following command
W: (pve-apt-hook)       touch '/please-remove-proxmox-ve'

PVE now no longer exists on one of my nodes. :p
  • Followed the guide, system was originally installed off a 7.2 iso.
  • No modifications to the system itself, other than installs and configs for telegraf, nut & rsyslog's output.
  • Ceph was on Quincy.
  • No extra kernels were installed as were listed in the install notes.

Looks like its gonna be a fun day diagnosing and probably re-installing everything from scratch.
"yay".

As a quick diagnostic step - running apt install 'proxmox-ve' yields this error -
Code:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 python3-cephfs : Depends: python3 (< 3.10) but 3.11.2-1+b1 is to be installed
 python3-rados : Depends: python3 (< 3.10) but 3.11.2-1+b1 is to be installed
 python3-rbd : Depends: python3 (< 3.10) but 3.11.2-1+b1 is to be installed
 python3-rgw : Depends: python3 (< 3.10) but 3.11.2-1+b1 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
Seems like missing repos, see https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Package_Repositories

For more help please open a new thread.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!