Proxmox VE 7 multipath

sloyola

Oct 10, 2013
Good afternoon, I have Proxmox VE 7.1 installed and I want to connect an HPE Nimble AF20 server via multipath. Right now I have the multipath.conf file configured as follows:

defaults { user_friendly_names yes find_multipaths no } blacklist { devnode "^(ram|raw|loop|fd|md|dm-|sr|scd|st)[0-9]*" devnode "^hd[a-z]" device { vendor ".*" product ".*" } } blacklist_exceptions { device { vendor "Nimble" product "Server" } } devices { device { vendor "Nimble" product "Server" path_grouping_policy group_by_prio prio "alua" hardware_handler "1 alua" path_selector "service-time 0" path_checker tur no_path_retry 30 failback immediate fast_io_fail_tmo 5 dev_loss_tmo infinity rr_min_io_rq 1 rr_weight uniform } }

With this configuration everything is working. The problem is that quite often a new path appears giving me an error: example:

mpathar (2eabaacf386591f4d6c9ce90080dce5ba) dm-189 Nimble,Server size=1.5T features='1 queue_if_no_path' hwhandler='1 alua' wp=ro `-+- policy='service-time 0' prio=0 status=enabled |- 3:0:0:101 sdo 8:224 failed undef running `- 4:0:0:101 sdp 8:240 failed undef running

I think this is due to some configuration that I have wrong in the multipath.conf file, can someone help me.

Given that Proxmox is using Debian as a base OS and Multipath works a layer below PVE, questions like these are best addressed to the storage vendor. I hear HPE/Nimble support is pretty good - might as well use what one pays for.

Beyond that a simple google search answers OPs concern:
https://access.redhat.com/solutions/29631

Code:
Root Cause
The 'undef' field means undefined. Generally means the dm path is neither active nor failed. This is actually expected behaviour. When using -l, multipath will only print information from sysfs and devicemapper, whereas -ll prints that information plus the path checker states internal to multipath.

From the man page:

Raw
           -l     show the current multipath topology from information fetched in sysfs and the device mapper

-ll    show the current multipath topology from all available information (sysfs, the device mapper, path checkers ...)
Since -l does not check the path states, it reports them as undefined ("undef").

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Reactions: Tmanok
Given that Proxmox is using Debian as a base OS and Multipath works a layer below PVE, questions like these are best addressed to the storage vendor. I hear HPE/Nimble support is pretty good - might as well use what one pays for.

Beyond that a simple google search answers OPs concern:
https://access.redhat.com/solutions/29631

Code:
Root Cause
The 'undef' field means undefined. Generally means the dm path is neither active nor failed. This is actually expected behaviour. When using -l, multipath will only print information from sysfs and devicemapper, whereas -ll prints that information plus the path checker states internal to multipath.

From the man page:

Raw
           -l     show the current multipath topology from information fetched in sysfs and the device mapper

-ll    show the current multipath topology from all available information (sysfs, the device mapper, path checkers ...)
Since -l does not check the path states, it reports them as undefined ("undef").

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
Thanks BBGeek, that's exactly what I needed to hear!

Tmanok

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!