Proxmox VE 7.4 (and prior) installation issues (Grub fails, no Web UI login)

bilor3

May 1, 2023
Hi,

I have different problems with the Proxmox VE 7.4 installation on an Asus ROG STRIX B760-I GAMING WIFI with an i3-13100, 16 GB DDR5 Ram and a Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe using an USB boot stick. I also tried all other proxmox versions down to 6.4 with the same or similiar issues described below.

The following issues I could solve after hours of search in this forum:
  1. Need to disable the Wifi/Bluetooth module of the mainboard, because no driver where found during initialization
  2. Had to add nomodeset to the Proxmox boot menu
  3. After initialization FrameBuffer mode failure in the X server occurs, which can be fixed by adding a driver conf for driver "fbdev"
For the following things I couldn't find a solution and need some help:
  1. After the proxmox installation the grub bootloader couldn't be installed ("failed to prepare EFI boot using Grub"). I don't know how to repair this afterwards. Note: I can't switch to legacy mode in the UEFI, because this option is only available with a dedicated GPU and I only have the iGPU at the moment.
  2. I started the proxmox installation via the rescue entry of the USB boot stick. So finally I could access the Web UI and tried with user root and also root@pam and my PW, but get a login failed (the login with the same credentials works for the SSH login). What's strange is there should be a dropdown entry to select the realm, but it's empty and there is no language selection option.
So up until now the experience was really bad and I wonder if I should use Proxmox on this machine when already the installation fails that bad.

Reactions: Alicha
Yep same CPU tho rest of the components are different. Cant for the life of me to get a bare metal install to work…

Yep same CPU tho rest of the components are different. Cant for the life of me to get a bare metal install to work…
I don't think that this has sth. to do with the CPU as it has all features required for a bare metal virtualization.

Does anybody have a suggestion how to fix the above described issue 2, so that I'm able to login to the Web UI?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!