Proxmox VE 7.2 and Solaris Kernel?

aarcane

Renowned Member
Jul 28, 2015
I'm trying to evaluate some Solaris based programs (OmniOS and NexentaStor) that are based on current Solaris Kernels. The long term goal is to pass through an HBA to these systems in PCIE mode, so I would want the Q35 VM mode. However, when configuring these VMs with a Q35 machine type, both kernels, without fail, get stuck in a boot loop. Just shortly after the bootloader prompt, when the kernel is starting to load, faster than I can see any output, the VM resets and goes back to the 'uefi' screen. I'm not sure if this is an issue with PVE's Q35 implementation, or if it's a bug in the two different versions of the Solaris kernel.

Is anybody else experiencing similar issues?
Does anybody have any insight into where the error or bug exists?
Does anybody know of a workaround to get the Q35 machine with PCIE passthrough working for these two Solaris kernels?

I just tested OmniOS and OpenIndiana with q35 and got on both VMs a kernel panic in module genunix. So I installed it with i440fx and made an `pkg update` and switched back to q35. Now everything work.

Maybe a system update could resolve your issue. What is your kernel version?

Reactions: datschlatscher
This happens from the installer ISO as of downloads on Friday 2022-05-13. I don't have version numbers handy. Install -> Update sounds like a viable workaround to me. Thank you m.frank.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!