Proxmox VE 6 does not boot ubuntu cloud images with cloud-init for VM.

Which qemu version do you use?
We have a lot of problem with various CloudInit images since qemu qemu-server 6.0.10 to 6.0.17 with 6.0.9 or latest 6.1.1 everything ok. Try to use this versions.

Last edited:
I confirm the issue. qemu 6.1.1 does not fix the issue. I just created a post with this problem and it was deleted.

I confirm the issue. qemu 6.1.1 does not fix the issue. I just created a post with this problem and it was deleted.

There is no qemu 6.1.1.

Your post is not deleted, it just was in the approval queue (Akismet matched).

@Pravednik I've used latest qemu-server: 6.1-1. It does not solve the problem. Anyway, as a workaround I've used an old created ubuntu cloud image based template with cloud-init. It has no problems until now. I want to switch old images with new latest one safely. Is there a way to investigate this situation? Any logs related?

Same issue here.

I am using the instructions from here: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Cloud-Init_Support

I am using proxmox 6.1-3

When it boots, it says "No bootable device"

My exact commands are as follows:

Code:
wget https://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/bionic/current/bionic-server-cloudimg-amd64.img

qm create 9000 --memory 2048 --net0 virtio,bridge=vmbr0

qm importdisk 9000 bionic-server-cloudimg-amd64.img vmstorage

qm set 9000 --scsihw virtio-scsi-pci --scsi0 vmstorage:vm-9000-disk-0

qm set 9000 --ide2 vmstorage:cloudinit

qm set 9000 --boot c --bootdisk scsi0

qm set 9000 --serial0 socket --vga serial0

All of those commands complete successfully.

Then, I click Start on the GUI and open the Console, and it loops over and over with no bootable disk.

@kakao73, @ujiam did you check were Proxmox trying to find Cloud-Init hard drive? When we meet this error on older versions VM-Disk was on Ceph SSD Pool, but in VM Hardware options Cloud-Init disk was on our Dev\Test SAS Pool. We remount correct Cloud-Init disk and VM was able to start.

I have the same issue: seabios repots:
boot failed: not a bootable disk

That fixed it!!! Renaming .img to .qcow2 and it works fine now. Thanks!
Unfortunately it didn't work for me, adding disk via command line gives error:

Code:
copy failed: command '/usr/bin/qemu-img convert -p -n -f qcow2 -O raw bionic-server-cloudimg-amd64.qcow2 'zeroinit:rbd:ceph1/vm-185-disk-0:conf=/etc/pve/ceph.conf'' failed: exit code 1

bionic-server-cloudimg-amd64.img is not a qcow2 image, converting it manually `convert -f qcow2 -O raw bionic-server-cloudimg-amd64.img bionic-server-cloudimg-amd64.raw` also does not work

I tried downloading .vmdk image - and it worked!

Last edited:
renaming .img to .qcow2 before importing worked for me as well

I have the same issue: seabios repots:
boot failed: not a bootable disk

Unfortunately it didn't work for me, adding disk via command line gives error:

Code:
copy failed: command '/usr/bin/qemu-img convert -p -n -f qcow2 -O raw bionic-server-cloudimg-amd64.qcow2 'zeroinit:rbd:ceph1/vm-185-disk-0:conf=/etc/pve/ceph.conf'' failed: exit code 1

bionic-server-cloudimg-amd64.img is not a qcow2 image, converting it manually `convert -f qcow2 -O raw bionic-server-cloudimg-amd64.img bionic-server-cloudimg-amd64.raw` also does not work

I tried downloading .vmdk image - and it worked!

hi,
do you mind sharing the steps that you took? I'm still trying to figure this out

Hi, @saalih416, I actually did it wrong, I used .img from .tar.gz file. Names and sizes was the same, as I can remember, I thought that it was the same image. README in currently available .tar.gz archives points out that the image in archive is a raw ext4 partition. Probably I missed README before, but current .img files (not archived) are imported well, even without renaming to qcow2.
So I think the problem is solved.

Last edited:
I'm the OP. It turns out that the tip linked and confirmed by @ujiam, @stfl is right to me. In my case, I confirmed ubuntu minimal cloud image .img file is a qcow2 image. Just rename its file extension:
Code:
mv <ubuntu-minimal-cloud-image>.img <ubuntu-minimal-cloud-image>.qcow2
And use that .qcow2 without additional converting operations.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!