Proxmox VE 6.0 Web GUI not working

kmotseki

Sep 11, 2019
Hello,

I have been using proxmox 5 and recently upgraded successfully to 6am using Proxmox 6.0. After the upgrade, everything was working fine including the we gui. but recently I am not able to access the web gui. I am not sure what could have caused the problem.

I experienced this problem once with proxmox 5 and was able to resolve it by correcting the repositories. I am using the non-subscription version. But I am not able to solve the issue now with proxmox 6.

Below are the details:

# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian buster main contrib
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian buster-updates main contrib
# PVE pve-no-subscription repository provided by proxmox.com,
# NOT recommended for production use
#deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian buster pve-no-subscription
deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve buster pve-no-subscription
# security updates
deb http://security.debian.org buster/updates main contrib

# cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-no-subscription.list

#deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve buster pve-no-subscription

# cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-enterprise.list
#deb https://enterprise.proxmox.com/debian/pve buster pve-enterprise

when I run apt update and apt dist-upgrade, I do not get any error messages. All packages are up to date.

# pveversion -v
proxmox-ve: 6.0-2 (running kernel: 5.0.21-1-pve)
pve-manager: 6.0-7 (running version: 6.0-7/28984024)
pve-kernel-5.0: 6.0-7
pve-kernel-helper: 6.0-7
pve-kernel-5.0.21-1-pve: 5.0.21-2
pve-kernel-5.0.15-1-pve: 5.0.15-1
pve-kernel-4.4.134-1-pve: 4.4.134-112
pve-kernel-4.2.3-2-pve: 4.2.3-22
pve-kernel-4.2.2-1-pve: 4.2.2-16
ceph-fuse: 12.2.11+dfsg1-2.1+b1
corosync: 3.0.2-pve2
criu: 3.11-3
glusterfs-client: 5.5-3
ksm-control-daemon: 1.3-1
libjs-extjs: 6.0.1-10
libknet1: 1.11-pve1
libpve-access-control: 6.0-2
libpve-apiclient-perl: 3.0-2
libpve-common-perl: 6.0-4
libpve-guest-common-perl: 3.0-1
libpve-http-server-perl: 3.0-2
libpve-storage-perl: 6.0-8
libqb0: 1.0.5-1
lvm2: 2.03.02-pve3
lxc-pve: 3.1.0-64
lxcfs: 3.0.3-pve60
novnc-pve: 1.0.0-60
proxmox-mini-journalreader: 1.1-1
proxmox-widget-toolkit: 2.0-7
pve-cluster: 6.0-7
pve-container: 3.0-7
pve-docs: 6.0-4
pve-edk2-firmware: 2.20190614-1
pve-firewall: 4.0-7
pve-firmware: 3.0-2
pve-ha-manager: 3.0-2
pve-i18n: 2.0-3
pve-qemu-kvm: 4.0.0-5
pve-xtermjs: 3.13.2-1
qemu-server: 6.0-7
smartmontools: 7.0-pve2
spiceterm: 3.1-1
vncterm: 1.6-1
zfsutils-linux: 0.8.1-pve2

All VMs are running without any problem.

What am I missing?

Hi,
please check if the PVE services are up and running systemctl status 'pve*'. Then try to restart the 'pveproxy.service' by running systemctl restart pveproxy.service

Hi Chris,

The PVE services were up and running. The Web GUI came back up after restarting pveproxy.service. Thank you for your help. I am pinching myself.

That's strange though because I even restarted the server at one point without a resolution.

Anyway, I am back online now. Thank you so much.

The WebGui is offline again. I have not made any changes on the system since the last time. PVE services are stil up and running. Restarting the 'pveproxy.service' does not resolve.

The WebGui is offline again. I have not made any changes on the system since the last time. PVE services are stil up and running. Restarting the 'pveproxy.service' does not resolve.
Please check if there is an error which indicates what is going wrong journalctl -b and in particular journalctl -u pveproxy.
Further, check if the server is listening on port 8006 by running ss -tlpn.

I had the same issue with my installation here:
Sometimes the GUI opens, sometimes not.

From several different Windows 10 clients in the network the same thing.
More strange is, that I get also no ping-reply from the proxmox server, as long as I ping from Windows 10 machines.
Ping from Linux machines to proxmox server is replied properly.

My workaround:
Send a ping from proxmox-server to one of the Windows 10 machine.
After that, this particular Windows10-machine is able to open proxmox GUI properly.

Is there anything in proxmox-firewall I have to change to get steady access from Windows 10 clients?

Any help to get rid of this problem would be appreciated.

Reactions: NeoJim

More strange is, that I get also no ping-reply from the proxmox server, as long as I ping from Windows 10 machines.

My workaround:
After that, this particular Windows10-machine is able to open proxmox GUI properly.

Is there anything in proxmox-firewall I have to change to get steady access from Windows 10 clients?

does it work if you disable the firewall completely? if yes i would check your rules

does it work if you disable the firewall completely? if yes i would check your rules
I disabled the firewall of proxmox by pve-firewall stop but that doesn't solve the problem
Ping from external W10 machine still does not get answered - as long as the W10-machine was pinged from pve-server, then everything works.

I have tried 2 separate W10 clients:
One is a standard W10Home machine
The other one is a W10Professional, Domain-controlled
With both clients the same story.

ok that indicates an other problem in your network somewhere. maybe the windows firewall? (since it seems to be the common denominator) or do you have any other firewall network equipment that could interfere (router/managed switch/etc.)?

I just had the same thing...brand new PVE install...thought what the heck, after reading this, I'll ping my laptop IP from the shell of PVE. All of a sudden, the webui is working on my laptop...

I just had the same thing...brand new PVE install...thought what the heck, after reading this, I'll ping my laptop IP from the shell of PVE. All of a sudden, the webui is working on my laptop...
this sounds like arp or duplicate ip problem
as soon as your laptop know the correct mac/ip combo from pve (after it pinged it) you can connect

My workaround:

This worked for me, sooooo darn crazy though!

My workaround:

So I found that although the ping workaround worked, I didn't like having to do that all the time. Came to find out that one of my wifi devices stole my ProxMox IP at some point. Kicked it and now I can get to it fine from any of my machines.

So I found that although the ping workaround worked, I didn't like having to do that all the time. Came to find out that one of my wifi devices stole my ProxMox IP at some point. Kicked it and now I can get to it fine from any of my machines.

Give PVE host a static IP, or via DHCP reservation. This makes life much easier.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!