Proxmox VE 5.1-41 Cluster Totally Crashed

Benoit G

Jan 7, 2018
Montréal
yulpa.io
Hi guys,

I have been working on Proxmox VE 5.1-41 for a couple of days.
It's been the second time I encoure this issue, I'm wondering if anybody have heard about it.

It's a 3 nodes cluster , classical setup.
Installation works well, network works well, corrum and everything works like a charm.

I installed few VM to do some testing , all works great, and from nowhere , the cluster start crashing.
The crash cause this :

- PVE binaries are deleted :

Code:
ls /usr/bin/|grep pve
pvecm

- PVE systemd files are removed
Code:
ls  /lib/systemd/system|grep pve
pve-cluster.service
pve-container@.service
pve-firewall.service
pvefw-logger.service
pve-ha-crm.service
pve-ha-lrm.service
system-pve\x2dcontainer.slice

- PVE scripts in /usr/share/perl5/PVE/ are removed
10 files has been deleted

Code:
> API2.pm
> API2Tools.pm
> APLInfo.pm
> AutoBalloon.pm
> CephTools.pm
> HTTPServer.pm
> pvecfg.pm
> Report.pm
> Status
> VZDump.pm

- PVE /usr/share/pve-manager/ directory is fully removed
This directory does not exist anymore

So this is terrible because it happen to ALL the nodes in the cluster.
I can't explain how PVE decide to kill himself and delete all those files /folder without human interaction .
It does not look like it has been hacked two times
Nobody updated the system or upgraded anything nor remove anything in the mind time

Have you ever heard about this ? :(
One time, i can tell myself, yes , i did a reboot who fucked everything , but two time, no way, the cluster was working grate.

Let me know if I can provide more log..

I was able to solve by taking files, folders and binaries from another working cluster , reboot and all is back but this is not ok for production unless we can find what really happen

Thanks a lot for you help.

Regards,
Ben

Hi,

do you have configured an unattended upgrades or something like that?

What you describe locks like an unclean deinstallation of proxmox-ve,
what can happend if you install conflicting debian packages.

But I never head about it in combination of a node crash.

I'm surprised, because I really did not update/remove anything and that whats worry me
And this happened two times.. I wish I can explain what happened .

Thanks for you answers, I will keep tracking the post in case this happen to someone else

Interesting. I agree it looks like some software is installed and it removes PVE packages. Maybe you could try one more time but this time make a "snapshot/backup" of the /etc/ directory and the full list of installed packages and versions with "dpkg -l". If it happens again make another 'snapshot' of the /etc directory and packages list and compare them with the 'working copy'.

Reactions: fireon
Interesting. I agree it looks like some software is installed and it removes PVE packages. Maybe you could try one more time but this time make a "snapshot/backup" of the /etc/ directory and the full list of installed packages and versions with "dpkg -l". If it happens again make another 'snapshot' of the /etc directory and packages list and compare them with the 'working copy'.

Good idea, I will take a snapshot and compare if that happen again ! thanks

Maybe you can add those to the snapshots too:
/var/lib/dpkg
/var/log/dpkg.log
/var/log/apt/history.log

You can also go one step further and install and configure the "tripwire" package to report to you:
Tripwire is a tool that aids system administrators and users in
monitoring a designated set of files for any changes. Used with
system files on a regular (e.g., daily) basis, Tripwire can notify
system administrators of corrupted or tampered files, so damage
control measures can be taken in a timely manner.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!