Proxmox VE 4.3 and Lightdm - Lightdm won't start

John Radley

Oct 10, 2016
I have installed Proxmox VE 4.3 on a bare metal server (ASUS H110T) via the repositories, where Debian 8.6 was installed first. Prior to installing Proxmox, the Debian server was working fine, and continues to do so using the Debian v3 kernel.
As soon as I boot with the Proxmox 4.4 kernel, Lightdm (via LXDE) will not start (it tries multiple times and gives up). I think gdm3 has same issue.

In preparation for this install, I did do same with Debian and Proxmox within Virtualbox 5.1.6 (Windows 10 host), where there was no problem with Lightdm and the Proxmox 4.4 kernel.

It's not a big deal - I have disabled Lightdm and use X2go to connect. And my usage is entirely domestic.
But it would be good to hear from Proxmox Gurus as to perhaps why, and any suggestions for troubleshooting the issue.
Thanks
John

If it is just lightdm that is failing, you should check the lightdm logs in /var/log/lightdm . I use it on my dev machine without problems ;)

Hi, I did check those logs but they didn't tell me anything useful.
Of course, I should have realised that X was not starting.

It seems that kernel modules i915 and i915_bpo are not working with my ASUS H110T motherboard and your 4.4 kernel.
I blacklisted them and changed to the fbdev driver, by creating /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-fbdev.conf, with

Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "fbdev"
EndSection

and X starts sufficiently for my learning Proxmox

You might like to add to your documentation wiki to remind anyone else what to do if X does not start.

I also had this problem on my Skylake Build. Problem was solved by adding "nomodeset" to the kernel command line in GRUB, no X-config changes required.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!