ProxMox VE 3.2 Installation Failure

cwathan

Renowned Member
Mar 11, 2014
I have attempted to install ProxMox VE 3.2 multiple times onto a Kingston V series SSD drive. In each case the installation would reach the point of "making system bootable," at which point it would indicate the install failed. I examined the verbose messages and saw the following errors.

1. cannot touch '/target/etc/bacula/do_not_run': No such file or directory
2. failed to run command 'a2ensite': No such file or directory
3. /usr/sbin/grub-setup: error: unable to identify a filesystem in hd0; safety check can't b
unable to install the boot loader
4. umount: /target: device is busy

I also have 2 RAID 5 file systems hanging off an Adaptec 6805 controller that are meant for data storage. The ProxMox system sits solely on the Kingston SSD drive.

Does anyone have any ideas as to the cause or a possible solution?

Thank you!

saw the following errors.
3. /usr/sbin/grub-setup: error: unable to identify a filesystem in hd0; safety check can't b

Which guide you followed? I think target/etc/bacula/do_not_run is not part of a astandard install, and a2ensite is an apache2 command, which should no more be in pve 3.x.

Marco

Marco,

It was indeed a VE 3.2 install (downloaded both via bittorrent AND direct from the ProxMox download page). It was a typical install in terms of settings as there are very few in the GUI installer. No guide was followed. Only the on screen instructions were followed. I am not aware of an installation guide for VE 3.2

I have observed this issue while attempting to install VE 3.1 on the same system. Could it be possible that there is a problem with USB CDROM support?

Any ProxMox staff care to respond to this?! I am vary interested in the product. I have played around with it in a VMware VM and believe it could be a great product. But, not being able to successfully install the product on a physical system with, what should be, a fairly common configuration is quite disturbing. Needless to say, I will not be paying licensing if I can't get the product to work for me.

The ISO installer tries to write the the grub-setup in the MBR of the first disk (defined in your mainboard bios).

Seems your first disk seen from the installer is not the Kingston SSD drive (its one of your raid volumes).

=> reconfigure your mainboard bios (hard drive order: Your SSD must be on first place)

Support:
This is the community forum. If you want/need support from the Proxmox Support team, you can buy this, see http://www.proxmox.com/proxmox-ve/pricing

And before you ask:
there no pre-sales support for support. As this make the whole business concept obsolete.

Any ProxMox staff care to respond to this?! I am vary interested in the product. I have played around with it in a VMware VM and believe it could be a great product. But, not being able to successfully install the product on a physical system with, what should be, a fairly common configuration is quite disturbing. Needless to say, I will not be paying licensing if I can't get the product to work for me.

Look, I have no ssd, but I am sure, as I read most topics on this forum, that there is a lot of people that runs pve on ssd disks.

But, about the response time you expect, I think you have to consider that
- a new pve release just came out, so most people are busy upgrading and doing tests, solving problems
- for the same reason, pve staff is busy answering to issues, correcting bugs (to support buyers first, of course)
- this is a free support forum, and there is no guaranteeed response time, or result, so it's probably best to try to be kind and wait a bit before complaining.
- in the meantime, you can see what others did searching for all the post containing "ssd" and "install" keywords, probably
- you could help more people to help you by explaining better exactly what you did: i've run
# find / -name *bacula*
on my pve 3.1-24 and it did not output anything, so I AM SURE you are doing something wrong, that could not be a clean ISO install...

cheers,
Marco

Look, I have no ssd, but I am sure, as I read most topics on this forum, that there is a lot of people that runs pve on ssd disks.

But, about the response time you expect, I think you have to consider that
- a new pve release just came out, so most people are busy upgrading and doing tests, solving problems
- for the same reason, pve staff is busy answering to issues, correcting bugs (to support buyers first, of course)
- this is a free support forum, and there is no guaranteeed response time, or result, so it's probably best to try to be kind and wait a bit before complaining.
- in the meantime, you can see what others did searching for all the post containing "ssd" and "install" keywords, probably
- you could help more people to help you by explaining better exactly what you did: i've run
# find / -name *bacula*
on my pve 3.1-24 and it did not output anything, so I AM SURE you are doing something wrong, that could not be a clean ISO install...

cheers,
Marco

Look, don't be a jerk. It is absolutely a clean ISO install, as I have already stated. Your responses have essentially been calling me a liar and not knowing what version of VE I am installing. Your comments were not constructive. I will use Tom's suggestions in an attempt to resolve the issue.

Look, don't be a jerk. It is absolutely a clean ISO install, as I have already stated. Your responses have essentially been calling me a liar and not knowing what version of VE I am installing. Your comments were not constructive. I will use Tom's suggestions in an attempt to resolve the issue.

I never said you are a liar. Good luck.

Marco

I have attempted to install ProxMox VE 3.2 multiple times onto a Kingston V series SSD drive. In each case the installation would reach the point of "making system bootable," at which point it would indicate the install failed. I examined the verbose messages and saw the following errors.

I also have 2 RAID 5 file systems hanging off an Adaptec 6805 controller that are meant for data storage. The ProxMox system sits solely on the Kingston SSD drive.

Does anyone have any ideas as to the cause or a possible solution?

Thank you!

During Proxmox installation, existing hard drives are detected and displayed. Seems proxmox wants
/dev/sda. If that is not your first hard drive make it so my switching SATA cable connected to your hard drives. Also check/change your boot order in your BIOS. Its that simple.

During Proxmox installation, existing hard drives are detected and displayed. Seems proxmox wants
/dev/sda. If that is not your first hard drive make it so my switching SATA cable connected to your hard drives. Also check/change your boot order in your BIOS. Its that simple.

i know this is an old thread but this is still an 'issue' even on the 3.3 installer. my chassis is hotswap so for me it will be easy to just pop all the drives not pertaining to the pve install, then make sure grub is set by disk guide after install, and it should be done.

my system originally installed 3.2 correctly, but i had a HD failure and used the down time to shuffle an array around. then when i went to reinstall proxmox i started getting the error. i will confirm the fix and post to verify today.

NOTE: the above does infact work around the "cannot install bootloader" error.

Last edited:
I have been having the same issue...

I have a new Dell R620 with internal, mirrored, SDcards of 32GB, and it also has a PERC 710 RAID controller with four 600GB drives in one RAID5 volume. I cannot install to either. Installing to the SDcard it gives me the "cannot install bootloader" error. Installing to the RAID5 volume it gives me a "pve volume group already exists" error. I have deleted the RAID5 volume, reformatted it, and it still gives the same error.

The BIOS is set up to boot from DVD, C:\, then NIC. The C:\ boot order is set to SDcard then RAID5 volume.

I would like to install PVE on the SDcard, and have the RAID5 volume for VM storage/working space.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!