Proxmox VE 2.0: Incorrect handling of dashes (-) in node hostname

rqk8j

Mar 31, 2012
[Solved] Single letter hostname errors [was: Errors when using dashes in nodenames]

Hello

I am quite new to Proxmox, but what I have seen so far looks very promising. You guys did some really great work on the latest 2.0 release.
I was testing rc1 over the past few days and - as expected, since I was using pre-released software - I came across an undocumented feature, which I would address as a bug:

When installing rc1 using the bare-metal ISO installer, I got the following error message (which has been mentioned in a fewotherpostingsaround here. The solution seemed to be an upgrade to the latest version - what I have already tried).

Parameter verification failed. (400)
Looking at the XHR requests to the server, the following requests return these errors:
"NetworkError: 400 Parameter verification failed. - https://a.ve-ho.st:8006/api2/json/nodes/a/storage/local/status"

"NetworkError: 400 Parameter verification failed. - https://a.ve-ho.st:8006/api2/png/nodes/a/storage/local/rrd?ds=total,used&timeframe=week&cf=AVERAGE&_dc=4"rrd?ds...E&_dc=4
Not all requests throw out errors. There are some that seem to work just fine.
After reading some postings about Proxmox having problems with handling 'DNS-Names with dashes/underscores', I changed the hostname to a.veho.st (note: no dash) for testing purposes.
This turned out to be a possible workaround for this problem.

Yesterday, I installed the latest 2.0 final release using the debian bare-metal ISO installer. I was hoping to use this installation as a productive system when everything is set up. But unfortunately, with a hostname like a.ve-ho.st, I still receive only 400 Status Codes after logging in using the web interface.

Since the error causing DNS domain name used for this setup is kind of bound to our company's dash-containing name, simply changing it to an un-dashed hostname is not an option this time.

Has any one else experienced this error yet? Are there known workarounds for this? Or maybe there's an official fix somewhere in the pipeline?

I understand, that a hostname like a.host_name.tld is causing problems, since underscores are not officially allowed in DNS names. But to my knowledge, there is no restriction in using simple dashes as part of a hostname.

Thanks for any hints in advanced!

Have a nice day everyone.

Code:
$ pveversion -v

pve-manager: 2.0-54 (pve-manager/2.0/4b59ea39)
running kernel: 2.6.32-10-pve
pve-kernel-2.6.32-10-pve: 2.6.32-63
lvm2: 2.02.88-2pve2
clvm: 2.02.88-2pve2
corosync-pve: 1.4.1-1
openais-pve: 1.1.4-2
libqb: 0.10.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.1.8-3
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-3
fence-agents-pve: 3.1.7-2
pve-cluster: 1.0-26
qemu-server: 2.0-33
pve-firmware: 1.0-15
libpve-common-perl: 1.0-23
libpve-access-control: 1.0-17
libpve-storage-perl: 2.0-16
vncterm: 1.0-2
vzctl: 3.0.30-2pve2
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.12-3
# pveversion -v

$ lscpu
Architecture:          x86_64
CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
CPU(s):                4
Thread(s) per core:    2
Core(s) per socket:    2
CPU socket(s):         1
NUMA node(s):          1
Vendor ID:             GenuineIntel
CPU family:            6
Model:                 28
Stepping:              10
CPU MHz:               1795.907
L1d cache:             24K
L1i cache:             32K
L2 cache:              512K
# lscpu

$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation N10 Family DMI Bridge (rev 02)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1a.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 02)
00:1a.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 02)
00:1a.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 02)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 6 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 92)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801IR (ICH9R) LPC Interface Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 RAID bus controller: Intel Corporation 82801IR/IO (ICH9R/DO) SATA Controller [RAID mode] (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network Connection
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network Connection
04:04.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G200eW WPCM450 (rev 0a)
# lspci

Last edited:
your problem is not the dash, hostname should have at least 2 characters.

not working:
Code:
a.ve-ho.st
working example:

Code:
ab.ve-ho.st

just change /etc/hostname and reboot. but note, if you have already a cluster its not that easy.

please file a bug that we do should not accept such hostnames in ISO installer.

Single letter hostname errors [was: ... Incorrect handling of dashes (-) in hostname]

Hi tom

Thanks for your quick response. When changing the hostname back when I was running the tests, I did endeed change it to one, containing more than only one letter. Blindfolded by all the forum postings about dashes and underscores, I did not ask any more questions and blamed the dash.

The faulty hostname got changed and everything is up and running now. Or maybe it would be running, if I did not have already setup the cluster - which now is somewhat corrupted because of the manually modified hostname. Trying to remove the old node with a simple pvecm delnode is of course throwing out the same old errors again.

So now, the only option I have left is to completely delete the cluster instance and start over again.
In case someone else has to face this task, I suggest you read this thread on How to delete a cluster using pvecm.

I filed the bug. Hope this helps preventing others from this frustrating situation.

Thanks again for your help, tom!

Re: Single letter hostname errors [was: ... Incorrect handling of dashes (-) in hostn

So now, the only option I have left is to completely delete the cluster instance and start over again.

You can also try to modify /etc/pve/cluster.conf directly (always increase version number). But add the new hostname to /etc/hosts before you do that.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!