[qm] unable to parse value of 'name' - value does not look like a valid DNS name

_Lars_

Jan 11, 2012
After the last update most of the names of my kvm guests in the web interface are gone.
They are just named "(VM 101)" etc. The only properly labeled VMs are those w/o
underscores in their names. A 'qm list' shows:

Code:
vm 103 - unable to parse value of 'name' - value does not look like a valid DNS name
vm 106 - unable to parse value of 'name' - value does not look like a valid DNS name
vm 101 - unable to parse value of 'name' - value does not look like a valid DNS name
vm 102 - unable to parse value of 'name' - value does not look like a valid DNS name
vm 100 - unable to parse value of 'name' - value does not look like a valid DNS name
vm 105 - unable to parse value of 'name' - value does not look like a valid DNS name
vm 107 - unable to parse value of 'name' - value does not look like a valid DNS name

Before the update (pve-manager/2.0/af81df02) 'qm' had no problem with names like
"WXP32_test001". Did I miss something?

Thanks
Lars

After the last update most of the names of my kvm guests in the web interface are gone.
They are just named "(VM 101)" etc. The only properly labeled VMs are those w/o
underscores in their names. A 'qm list' shows:

Code:
vm 103 - unable to parse value of 'name' - value does not look like a valid DNS name
vm 106 - unable to parse value of 'name' - value does not look like a valid DNS name
vm 101 - unable to parse value of 'name' - value does not look like a valid DNS name
vm 102 - unable to parse value of 'name' - value does not look like a valid DNS name
vm 100 - unable to parse value of 'name' - value does not look like a valid DNS name
vm 105 - unable to parse value of 'name' - value does not look like a valid DNS name
vm 107 - unable to parse value of 'name' - value does not look like a valid DNS name

Before the update (pve-manager/2.0/af81df02) 'qm' had no problem with names like
"WXP32_test001". Did I miss something?

Thanks
Lars
Hi Lars,
the error is right. The underscore isn't an valid part of an dns-name. So if you rename your VM to WXP32-test001 it schould work properly.

Udo

We changed that and now only allow DNS like names. I suuggest you simply change the names of those VMs.

May I ask for the purpose? I use these labels to get a quick summary over all guests.
Mostly in this manner "OSTYPE_HOSTDESCR". I think changing
"LNX26_TestSrv_ORACLE" to "lnx26-testsrv-oracle" isn't really clear. Also, a host's
name may change without the need to change its label.
KVM is using the '-name' parameter also just as a label. Are hostname restrictions for
labels really necessary?

Last edited:
Are hostname restrictions for labels really necessary?

We changed that so that we can use that in future for DNS/DHCP (for routed network setups).

Anyway, I don't really see why LNX26_TestSrv_ORACLE is better than LNX26-TestSrv-ORACLE?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!